TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th June 2013, 02:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1208

Psychedelic

My all-time favorite strategy game as a kid was Squad Leader...
Squad Leader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent many a weekend playing with friends!

Old 18th June 2013, 05:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1186

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_(board_game)
Definitely my favourite board game (Vanilla version). I love how you are playing the game rather than each other and beating it is an achievement.

I have Talisman and while I loved it back in the day I agree it is a bit to long these days for me although still fun.
Old 18th June 2013, 07:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5038

Talisman can be far too slow at the start. Going to give the kids a raft and a few gold each to get into the fun part quicker. Just bought the Sacred Pool expansion. I'm always pushing players to roll quickly

Pandemic has great mechanics and there is always something going on. Love it.

There are definite favs appearing in our collection. Dixit and Small World are two.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:47 AM   #34 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Just bought Mage Wars from Games Paradise. The Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion was missing from the delivery. Also paid for Netrunner Cyber Exodus but its out of stock. I contacted them and hopefully it gets resolved.

So what games have caught your attention recently ?

Police Precinct looks good when the 2nd Edition comes out (minor fixes from 1st Ed).
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2591

Goofy

I bought Police Precinct, I was aware there was a 2nd edition coming out, but I'm impatient

Haven't gotten it to the table yet, just had a bit of a play solo, seemed easy enough to follow.

I just got Spartacus, but I don't think it's a family game...
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 07:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I agree that 7 Wonders is a great family game. Tried the 3 player game and the kids picked it up pretty much immediately. The idea of accumulating resources to build didn't even need to be explained to a pair of Minecraft players. Will try a 4 player game when my wife has time.

Had to put in Paypal dispute with Games Paradise. A month after i ordered they haven't even posted a bunch of my games, and the one order they did post had half the stuff missing. They haven't even returned any of my emails. The point of buying games the month before school holidays is to actually play them.
Old 1st July 2013, 01:18 PM   #37 (permalink)

Goofy

Games Paradise really are awful - not worth the aggravation
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:47 AM   #38 (permalink)

Goofy

I forgot to mention an interesting game, Escape - Curse of the Temple. Pretty frantic, each player constantly rolls a set of dice to get the required symbols to move their token thru the temple. Theres a cd (or mp3) to play, so its a timed game. At various points you have to move back to the central chamber or lose a dice.

Its an odd sort of game - you barely notice what others are doing because you're frantically rolling your own dice. There are no player turns, you roll as fast as you can. If you roll a skull symbol, you cant reroll it until you roll a golden mask symbol. If another player is in the same room, you can use their mask symbol - this is actually the most fun bit, as you run back to "save" a friend who has rolled all skulls and cant do anything.

Its fun, I guess - and short, since its timed at 10 minutes. It seems expensive for what it is (a few map tiles and a bumload of dice). Probably unlikely you would play more than one or two games of it in a session.

Certainly different, which I like to see in a game. Space Alert attracted me as well (with its realtime play) - although that has a lot more variety.

My copy of Escape was missing a sheet of tiles, so I had to make do with a couple of homemade ones (using images copied from the manual and resized - they look like crap).

Last edited by Bort; 2nd July 2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

My Mage Wars came with a factory damaged spell book. So I emailed Arcane Wonders and they replaced it immediately.

The gameplay of Mage Wars is fast, because there is SO much going on. The game is pretty long for what is essentially a card game, played in zones, with dice damage and effects. The kids loved it and wanted to play again. We hardly scratched the surface of what the game can do as we played in apprentice mode to introduce my girls to the game. It took us about an hour.
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

Goofy

Queen Games are sending me the missing tiles, just might take a few weeks (from Germany).