Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th July 2013, 07:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5163

Amused

I'm such a Tabletop junkie... Forbidden Island and Once Upon a Time arrived today

Should be another good weekend of games with my wife on days off.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th July 2013, 07:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2649

Goofy

Once Upon a Time - havent heard of that one
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 08:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Once Upon a Time is designed for a group of players where winning is secondary to telling a good tale. I think a person 'playing to win' would ruin this game pretty quickly.

You can also add your own cards to the game, and i'll put some in that my kids will find funny.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 4th July 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:17 PM   #44 (permalink)

Goofy

I think I'll stick to Dixit

Introduced it to friends last night, and we had a ball with it, its just so easy to play. And its fun to hear peoples tortured explanations for their clue....("shotgun, so, Kurt Cobain, so its obviously the card showing a heart shaped box, duh!").

Also gave Spartacus a go, NOT a family game. Fun mix of elements I thought, you have a card playing phase (playing your various schemes for money, or knock someone down), then an auction phase (bid for slaves, gladiators, equipment, and the right to host the Arena), and then the Arena, where you take up to 12 dice and roll off against another gladiator. Everyones involved in the Arena, since you can all make wagers (on victory for a particular gladiator, injury, or decapitation). Even with the shorter game it went on a big, people get to the point where they just want to move on. But hopefully we'll play again.

And of course we played our regular games of 7 Wonders and Bang.
Old 1st August 2013, 07:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

My recent arrivals, mainly from England and a few off Ebay. I still have a few boxes in transit. Lately I have noticed the prices are rising a bit with the drop in the Aussie $.

Currently playing King of Tokyo.

Old 1st August 2013, 08:32 PM   #46 (permalink)

Goofy

Those are all new? Not a bad haul at all. Most of my games from the ozgameshop sale are here now, so I've now got:

Cosmic Encounter
Cutthroat Caverns
Cyclades (really looking forward to playing this)
Forbidden Desert
Lords of Waterdeep
Quarantine
Race for the Galaxy
Survive - Escape from Atlantis
Zogars Gaze (this was a kickstarter)

Still waiting on Resistance Avalon and Libertalia
Ordered Hanabi from Milsims, when the order got here I found Hanabi was on backorder - that was a bit annoying (to only find out when I got the order). I'd ordered Timeline to go with it.

Really really going to start working on my unplayed list now

The games shelf now looks something like this

games by bortmonkey, on Flickr

And, with some annotations

games_3a by bortmonkey, on Flickr
Old 5th August 2013, 12:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1109 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Fine

I played a game of Arkham Horror while at PAX last month, and despite the rather large learning curve, had an absolute awesome time.

It takes a while to teach the rules and the like, but once everyone has them down, the rounds move quite quickly, and there's a lot of scope for variety in each game.

I also second the recommendation of Seven Wonders, it's an easily picked up game that's a lot of fun
Wobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 01:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Goofy

I'm surprised they play such an involved game as Arkham Horror at PAX, I thought it was more for easier to play titles. One day, I will try my copy out....not sure if I have the board space.

I played Cyclades last week - it was a lot of fun. Took a while, having to explain it (and look up rules myself), but it was exciting. Someone nearly had the win, they just had to hang on until the end of the round, but someone managed to invade their island and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! It was pretty tense stuff, I loved it. And then a third player managed to sneak his victory in before we realised what he was up to.

7 Wonders continues to be our favourite game, we're getting a reputation at the weekly games night as "the 7 Wonders group". And now we know the game (and each other) pretty well, theres a lot of table talk about which cards we're NOT giving to who, which is good fun. Except when its me and they are all discussing which science card they are going to give me ("No, give him this one - he wont be able to afford it!"). Booo! - but still good fun.

Last edited by Bort; 5th August 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 5th August 2013, 02:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1109 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Fine

Well, not -directly- at PAX, but one of the evenings. We did set up at one of the free to play tables, and basically ran through the rules, I guess it was there for people who knew the game.

One of my friends had bought the box earlier, so we played that afterwards
Wobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 08:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Played Summoner Wars tonight and my daughter just beat me. It was the Dwarves vs Goblins and came down to the last unit. I did not have high expectations as i previously didn't know much about the game but we both enjoyed it a lot. Fairly easy to play and much more strategic than i imagined at first glance. I'll be expanding my Summoner Wars collection next time there is a sale. It feels a lot more social than Magic the Gathering as you can chat about possible strategy with your opponent without ruining the match.

Been right into card games lately. Jaipur is a good quick 2 player trading game and Bohnanza (where you plant and harvest beans) works well with 4 players.

I'll be looking forward to Tabletop next week as they are playing Lords of Waterdeep.