Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th August 2013, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 738 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Cheeky
Default Numenera

Gday,

Interested to see if anyone owns, or has played Numenera (Monte Cooks' new pnp RPG) and is willing to kindly share their insights.

I'm intrigued by the very low GM overhead and the Science-Fantasy campaign world that can apparently morph into horror, cyberpunk, space opera etc session to session within a consistent story.

Bondiablerie - Resto Shaman and Bonsavant - Death Knight
SnorriHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30th August 2013, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 404

I received the Numenera corebook and players guide as rewards for backing Torment: Tides of Numenera at the $125 level.

It's a very cool concept, clearly influenced by the authors' work on the Planescape setting. Numenera is basically our world a billion years in the future, after a bunch of galaxy/dimension-spanning civilisations have risen and fallen, so anything you can imagine has probably happened at some point in its history.

I can't really critique the RPG aspects of it, as I'm not much of a pen-and-paper gamer. The rules seem pretty simple, which is a good thing if you don't want to get bogged down in minutia. To create a character, rather than rolling a bunch of dice, you begin with a statement like "I am an [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]", e.g. "I am a swift glaive who exists partially out of phase".
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1291

I only just received it so just flicked through it so far but definitely a very interesting world with Numenera itself being the tech remnants of the past civilizations (the book is set in the 9th age) and the world having a post apocalyptic vibe.

The concept statement he was working off was from Arthur C Clarke where he said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" so that may give you an idea of how things play out in the book e.g. the introduction story has someone using an advanced tech belt to levitate.

While I am not sure about space opera I can see the other themes mentioned working easily in the setting.
Old 2nd October 2013, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cheeky

Well I ordered the Core book and all I can say is...Wow! This is very good. Not often do you see a game that seems simple, but has a lot of nuances under the hood. The setting is excellent, allowing a group to play any genre including fantasy, steampunk, horror, sci-fi, post apocalypse. I suspect genre doesn't count for much in this game and mixing it up session to session would be a lot of fun as well as keeping an ongoing campaign fresh.

Last edited by SnorriHT; 9th October 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Edited spelling
Old 9th October 2013, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1291

I am similarly impressed with it glad you are enjoying it .
I have Shadowrun 5th Ed on the way (hopefully arriving this week) so looking forward to working through that next being an old time fan.
Old 9th October 2013, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimahi View Post
I am similarly impressed with it glad you are enjoying it .
I have Shadowrun 5th Ed on the way (hopefully arriving this week) so looking forward to working through that next being an old time fan.
Thank you Please let me know what you think about Shadowrun 5th Ed. It's a game I've always been interested in, but I've never pulled the trigger to get it.