Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th November 2013, 05:38 PM   #101 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2649

Goofy

Could take a while to play Small World...

Unfortunately it would lose the face to face contact, which is one of the reasons I started playing board games. But yeah, in different cities - its a bit hard to do in person.

If any brisbanites are looking for a game on a Friday night, theres Critical Mass, who meetup at Chermside library every week, and at Indooropilly (not every week). I go to Chermside, good bunch of people, and good gamers.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th November 2013, 08:00 AM   #102 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 738 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
Just dont judge it by the tedious looking cover. Of course, some people would say it was all tedious - its village life, after all. You get grain from the harvest, buy farming implements, have new workers birthed, and become active in the church. Based on that - I'd think it was dull as well.

Like my other favourite game that gets scored at the end (7 Wonders), it wouldnt be that hard to calculate someones score on the fly - theres no hidden information there. Personally I just do my best and see how it comes out.

I like the random arrangement of resources each round, adds variety and affects your plans. You put all the required cubes into the bag, and then randomly draw to place on each board location.
Heheh!! Zombie in my Pocket best game ever!?

The important thing about Village is that you enjoyed playing it and that it was an engaging experience for you and your friends. What I liked about Zombie in my pocket is that it takes 1 minute to teach a complete stranger the game, 15 minutes to play and it was light fun.

Bondiablerie - Resto Shaman and Bonsavant - Death Knight
SnorriHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 09:11 AM   #103 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 512

Lurking

There are a bunch of ways to play via forum posting if people are keen for different games.

i.e. I am currently reading up on them now for Game of Thrones (a feast for crows)

FFC PBF #2 Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood. | A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) - A Feast for Crows Expansion | BoardGameGeek

Could do some more research once we can get people interested then decide on a game.
/ MrSavBlanc (OCE)
.. and then whatever i can get my hands on.
Spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 02:29 AM   #104 (permalink)

Goofy

I just cant decide if I like Lords of Waterdeep

Its easy to play/teach/learn - plays out in a decent time, its very slick. Its seems like you have to think - but there also seems to be a fair bit of randomness in cards. Suddenly you'll be gaining or losing cubes (sorry, fighters or whatever) for no real reason.

And sometimes mandatory quests just piss me off.
Old 1st December 2013, 06:49 AM   #105 (permalink)

Cheeky

Life is too short to play OK games. Lords of Waterdeep could be that parasite, consuming shelf space and slowly infecting all the other games around it with OKness.

Lance the boil that is Lords of Waterdeep and reclaim that shelf space for that great worker placement game you haven't found yet (and its only 3 weeks to Xmas! )

Old 1st December 2013, 08:25 AM   #106 (permalink)
Dressy

Another game of Talisman last night (gee, it takes a long time). I have to say, after watching it win the last two games, the Dark Cultist is OP.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:21 PM   #107 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorriHT View Post
Life is too short to play OK games.
Some games do need a few plays to appreciate. I dont think Waterdeep is one of them - like it or hate it, I dont think your opinion is likely to change from the first game.

My friends enjoy it tho.

I'm fine with "take that" games (I play Survive and enjoy it). I'm not a euro only player who doesnt like any player interaction.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:22 PM   #108 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorriHT View Post
Lance the boil that is Lords of Waterdeep
Also, ewwww
Old 1st December 2013, 09:35 PM   #109 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
My friends enjoy it tho.
If your friends enjoy it, its a keeper then. But there must be room for another game purchase before Xmas surely?

Old 1st December 2013, 09:47 PM   #110 (permalink)

Goofy

There's always room for another purchase before Xmas!!

I'll have Space Cadets: Dice Duel this week, and Takenoko before Xmas.

Village fell a bit flat with friends it seemed, not sure why.