Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th May 2014, 10:47 PM   #181 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2647

Goofy

3rd game of Terra Mystica today, and finally got the win! It can be a harsh game, absolutely no luck (no dice, no random cards or any of that). Its just a race to terraform the land into your preferred type so you can build on it. Pretty interesting, might be too dry for some (its almost semi-abstract in play).

Certainly can lead to a bit of head scratching as you try and figure out the best path for points.

Lots of different races to choose from, who all have special abilities, and different costs for the various skills.

Expensive game, but for a slightly smaller than average sized box, its absolutely crammed full of nice wooden pieces.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th May 2014, 08:29 PM   #182 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 733 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

Terra Mystica sounds an intriguing gameBort, well done on the win. I've been playing a Brief History of the World, Gears of War and Divine Right.
Old 7th May 2014, 03:07 PM   #183 (permalink)

Goofy

Recently received Splendor, and Arctic Scavengers.

Splendor is a short game about buying gem cards. Each turn you can either collect gems, or buy a gem card. Each card can be worth points, and will have a cost (in gems). They also provide a gem bonus, which is a discount for that colour gem. So, its like a puzzle, to figure out what cards you have to buy in order to buy better cards, while collecting the least number of gems. It looks like a bit of fun - a game anyone could play (family game?).

Arctic Scavengers is a very thematic deck builder. You are all survivors in a post-apocalyptic world - starting with only refugees, scavengers, shovel, and spear. Each turn you draw cards, then use them to dig thru the snow for gear, hunt for food, and hire more people.

Then, you have a fight against everyone else. Each card has a pvp value, so you compare that, and the winner gets a draw from the contested resource pile (which has all the really good stuff in it). There are special characters too, like snipers (who kill people in pvp), and saboteurs.

Check the SUSD review - they loved it. I've only played it once, but thought it was good fun. Bit hard to get hold in Australia (I hear Games Paradise have it, but I wouldnt do an online order with them).
Old 18th May 2014, 11:46 AM   #184 (permalink)

Goofy

Every game should have a copy of "No, Thanks". I think I said once that Sushi Go was the perfect filler - I lied, its "No, Thanks".

It costs $15 or so, plays in about 15-20 mins, takes about 30 seconds to learn (although after the first game, a lot of people say "ok...NOW I get it - lets play again". And it takes barely any space, tiny box.

All you get is a deck of cards from 3 to 35 (one of each) - and a big pile of little red counters.

You start by taking out 9 random cards - just to add a bit of uncertainty.

All turn - you only have 2 things you can do. You can take the face up card (and its points value), or say "No, thanks"*, and put a counter on the card.

The winner is the person with the least value at the end - and each counter comes off your score.

So - everyone just says "no" until they run out of counters, right? Maybe not....if you have any sequence of cards - you only count the lowest at the end.

You have the 35 - worst card in the deck? The 34 comes out - no one else wants it, but for you it negates the 35. So, you take it right away, right? Nope - you bleed everyone dry - they dont want it, so they'll keep playing counters on it. Maybe you'll keep it going until theres 15 counters on it - awesome, thats only 34 - 15, so its only a loss of 19 for you.

Its brilliant.

* Other acceptable phrases are "hell, no", "nope", "noooooooope", and "f**k no".
Old 18th May 2014, 01:25 PM   #185 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5138

Amused

No Thanks is a great game. Easy to teach but enough strategy for gamers.

Here is a tip... an old TV entertainment unit makes a useful games case.

Old 11th June 2014, 12:19 PM   #186 (permalink)

Goofy

I've been getting a few games of Battlestar Galactica in on Sundays, at the Go Lounge, with 5 or 6 people, which makes it a good game. Lots of finger pointing and accusations - its awesome.

Then we relax and play a few round of Bang! The Dice Game - which is great fun, and only takes 15 minutes or so to play. Still has the roles from the normal Bang! game, although its easy enough to figure out what most people are after 1 round (the Renegade can be deceptive...).

Been playing some Citadels, San Juan (finally tracked down a copy).

Dungeon Raiders (which I talked about in the "$20 game" thread) is great fun as well - so simple, but still can have some nerve wracking moments.

Also played Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy, an interesting game of creating your family tree. So you get friends, marry them, have babies (theres a possibility of drawing a "complications" card when taking a baby card, which can kill the mother or the child). You can have arranged marriages (when the child hasnt grown yet), buy mansions, titles. I enjoyed my game of this, its different.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:46 AM   #187 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 733 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

I've heard good things about Dungeon Raiders

I haven't been doing much gaming due to exam study but I have enjoyed a Brief History of the World. I tried Galaxy Trucker again but I just can't get into that game.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:08 PM   #188 (permalink)

Goofy

Galaxy Trucker is one game I thought I would love, but sold it. Like you, just couldnt get into it. A friend is fond of telling people its "half a game", and I agree with that. Making space ships from junk, in real time - great fun! Drawing cards to see what happens - bleh.