Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th October 2013, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2646

Goofy

Played Kemet last night - looks like a great game. I guess you would call it an area control game, but there are a few way to win the game. You win if you have enough victory points (VPs), either 8 or 10, depending on how long a game you want.

You get permanent VPs from winning a battle (only if you're the attacker), controlling two temples, sacrificing 2 units at a special building, controlling the Sphinx (one of 7 creatures you can add to your army), and lastly by buying a VP power. You get temporary VPs by controlling a temple, or raising the power of one of your pyramids to level 4 (or controlling an opponents level 4 pyramid).

So - theres a few paths to victory....

Each player has 3 pyramids (red, blue, and white), which start at level 0 (ie not on the board), and can be upgraded up to level 4. The reason you do this is to buy power tiles, which give you a variety of abilities, anything from controlling a creature, adding permanent attack power to your army, increasing movement speed - all sort of things.

There are 3 colours of power tiles (red, blue, white, like the pyramids), and there are 4 tiles available in each colour, for each level from 1 to 4. So, to buy a level 3 blue tile, you need a level 3 (or 4) level blue pyramid. Each colour has 16 power tiles, so lots of choices. Red is focussed on power and damage, blue on defence, and white is about prayer power and getting things cheaper.

It all runs pretty smoothly and quickly - each player has their own board, you place an action token for your move (so you cant do some things more than once in a round). Everything is paid for in prayer points.

Battle is fairly straightforward, you add up your strength vs your opponents. You all have a set of 6 battle cards, with varying values for strength, damage and protection. You choose a battle card to play in a battle, and add any strength in, then lose units according to damage done (damage is negated by protection). Its possible to win a battle, but lose all of your units in the process.

It took us 2.5 hours for a 5 player game, but it was our first game, so there was a lot of explanation at the start and during the game. Experienced players would knock an hour off that I reckon. Moves are generally very quick.

As you can probably tell - I like this game. It encourages aggressive play, since only attackers win VPs. Staying in your home city accomplishes nothing. Although a crafty player could wait for others to clash, and then come in to defeat whatever is left behind.

The board seems huge, but in reality you're all very close. Troops move 1 space by default, but there are powers to increase that. Also, from your home pyramid, you can teleport to an obelisk (which all temples have) - at a cost.

And almost forgot the best bit: you can recruit a giant scorpion, scarab beetle, phoenix, mummy, giant snake, sphinx, or elephant.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th October 2013, 11:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 733 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

2 and 1/2 hours for 5 players is good going. Good to see that Kemet rewards aggressive play; I'm not keen on games that reward turtling. Bugger the Turtle, give me a Giant Scorpion!
Old 8th October 2013, 11:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

Goofy

I'll be disappointed if subsequent games go that long. And I didnt get the scorpion myself - but the mighty Ancestral Elephant looked like good value (+ to strength, movement, and defence!).

I'm so keen on the game I did up a custom insert on the weekend in foamcore.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Goofy

I also had my first decent play of Pathfinder (the card game). After hearing so much on bgg about how easy the game is, I was confident. My confidence was misplaced. Managed to get both of my characters killed off in the introductory scenario (not even the proper scenario!).

You die if your character has to replenish cards from their draw deck and cant do so. So recharging cards (ie putting them on the bottom of your deck, instead of discarding) is a lot more important than I thought.

I was playing solo with 2 characters, maybe I need to pick my 2 characters a bit better. There are suggested pairings, which of course I ignored and picked a couple I thought would be fun.

I'm not sure of the whole "your deck is your health" idea. Its fine when you lose cards from being damaged, but you have to play cards as well to have any hope of defeating most monsters (unless you feel lucky enough to roll 9 or 10 on a single d10 die).

Possibly I shouldnt have split my party either - some characters can assist from other locations, most cant. Even if you're in the same location, two characters wont be able to fight the same enemy (unless it has multiple combat checks, which I havent seen yet).

A character can play a blessing on another character, however, or any other card that can affect their combat check. Blessings seems to be the most common card to assist, because they add another die.

I still got stomped by most monsters, because of bad dice rolling. Which seems a little random, but thats the game I guess.

Last edited by Bort; 8th October 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
Admin
The Doctor
Guru - Post: 10330

I play all manner of Board Games. My current favorite is Terra Mystica. Just got a copy.

Oil? An emergency? Ha! It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realized that to be
dependent on a mineral slime just doesn't make sense. ~ The Doctor
Bayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 06:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
I'll be disappointed if subsequent games go that long. And I didnt get the scorpion myself - but the mighty Ancestral Elephant looked like good value (+ to strength, movement, and defence!).

I'm so keen on the game I did up a custom insert on the weekend in foamcore.
Pimpin' ya games, good to see Bort! And thank you for the session report on Pathfinder. Middle Earth Quest uses the 'deck as your life pool' mechanic (with no die rolling) and its works very well in that game. I like the sound of Pathfinder game, but I've spent my gaming $$$ to order Sentinels of the Multiverse and Popular Front from Milsims.

Bayland, what are your top 10 games?
Old 10th October 2013, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 510

Lurking

Quote:
I also had my first decent play of Pathfinder (the card game). After hearing so much on bgg about how easy the game is, I was confident. My confidence was misplaced. Managed to get both of my characters killed off in the introductory scenario (not even the proper scenario!)....
Played this for the 1st time with a group of 5 of us. Just tried to do the 1st scenario and we lost. One person died (they got into some bad situations and didnt have any assistance or useful cards in their hand so got smashed).

I think the 5 of us we needed to branch out more than we did and be more risky.. We ended up with most of the locations closed but we still had 2 large areas to explore and no turns to do it in. Smashed numerous henchmen but never even saw the villian... oh well. Next game.

Had a big mix of players and everyone enjoyed the game, people have a better idea for next game about how it all works and what char they should choose for the campaign, and what cards to build it with.. (we used the sample decks).
/ MrSavBlanc (OCE)
.. and then whatever i can get my hands on.
Spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorriHT View Post
Pimpin' ya games, good to see Bort!
I love to pimp out my games! I've been scouring the net for replacements gems for Incan Gold. Got the game yesterday, and the gems included are blurgh. Obsidian? No, thats just an ugly rock that looks like coal, and I'm not risking my arse in a cave for that.

I found some cool looking diamonds on ebay (crafting stores), and some big chunky gems at one of those crap shops in shopping centres. But I have more on the way! Apparently aquarium supplies have heaps of that sort of stuff, so I have a kg of gems coming from one of them, should be enough to pimp out any game that requires it.

Next time I play Libertalia, it will be with pirate doubloons - yaaaarrrrrrr!
Old 10th October 2013, 07:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5138

Amused

Played Settlers of Catan with the family last night. Enjoyed by all and they wanted to play again today.

The aquarium gems are a great idea. There are a few games i would find them useful in as life counters etc. I have Love Letter arriving soon and they would be a fine replacement for the wooden blocks.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 10th October 2013 at 08:17 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 08:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
...Got the game yesterday, and the gems included are blurgh. Obsidian? No, thats just an ugly rock that looks like coal, and I'm not risking my arse in a cave for that.
Next time I play Libertalia, it will be with pirate doubloons - yaaaarrrrrrr!
That cracked me up!

Awesome to get into character and theme! Pirate or Zombie games are great for that.

HenriDeacon, Catan is a great game, but just didn't gel for me. Good to see the family enjoyed it though.