Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others > Pen and paper games

Pen and paper games Discuss ADND, Warhammer and other PnP games here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th October 2013, 02:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2628

Goofy

Sushi Go is a good game for a work lunchtime - quick and easy to play. And everyone looks at you funny when you bring out Love Letter (even tho its awesome!).

But sushi is something everyone can relate to.

Just had a game of it today, and won. Possibly the last game I'll win (certainly the last game I'll win easily), as it only takes a game before people know what they are doing, and therefore know *not* to pass on cards that complete sets for other players. I suspect the games might get closer then.
Bort is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 31st October 2013, 05:15 PM   #72 (permalink)

Goofy

Noooooooo - I lost today at Sushi Go - people are getting better at it. Dammit, need to find some more noobs to play against.
Old 2nd November 2013, 03:41 AM   #73 (permalink)

Goofy

Finally got to experience a game of Cards Against Humanity, heard a lot about this game.

If you havent heard of it, you pick a random question card, that will have something like "During sex, I like to think about ___________", and each player chooses one of their answer cards. With answers including things like "Dead babies" - this is not a game for all audiences.

You take it in turns to draw and read the questions, and the reader then picks their favourite answer (they dont know who gave them which answer card). You can have your own reason to pick the winning card - it made you laugh, or it was the most inappropriate.

On the plus side, its not expensive (although hard to get hold of in Australia). And it takes barely any time to explain it, and theres no right or wrong answers.

On the minus side, its barely a game. Its a pastime, an excuse to sit around and giggle at stupid things. I can see it outstaying its welcome pretty quickly (it doesnt even take that long to go thru the cards, so you've seen every bizarre answer there is.

With the right crowd, and maybe alcohol, I could see it being a hit. I laughed a lot tonight, more than I would do during any other game.

I'll leave you with this image (that someone described to me tonight, and I just googled).

http://i.imgur.com/OxC3h30.jpg
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:42 AM   #74 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 733 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

Reminds me of Pimp: The Backhanding | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

A fun game with the right crowd that don't take things too seriously
Old 9th November 2013, 01:51 AM   #75 (permalink)

Goofy

Got Boss Monster today (from thinkgeek), fun little game. I hadnt intended to play it that night (usually I like to read the rules so I can at least try and teach it), but people were keen (the artwork is pretty cool, if you like 8 bit art).

So we made our way thru 2 games, and it was fairly easy to pick up.

Its a little like Dungeon Keeper, where you're the bad guy, trying to kill the heroes. You create rooms for the heroes to go thru, leading up to your boss monster. If the hero gets that far - you take a wound. If you kill him before then, you get a soul.

Each room can do damage, as well as possibly having other special abilities, which can affect rooms around them (or allow you to get spells, or go thru discards).

After the heroes are initially played from the deck, they will decide which dungeon to go into. There are 4 treasure types on your rooms, and each hero is attracted to one of those types. So if you have the most of a type, that hero will head to your dungeon. Which is fine if you can handle him - might be bad if you cant.

The box says it takes 20 minutes to play - our first games were a bit longer (20 minutes might be for 2 players only).
Old 9th November 2013, 08:25 AM   #76 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 733 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Lurking

Thanks Bort, it looks a great little game and I've added this to my wish list.

I've recently pre-ordered the reprint of Conquest of Paradise, http://www.gmtgames.com/p-443-conque...se-2nd-ed.aspx which I'm looking to get my hands on in 2014.

Last edited by SnorriHT; 9th November 2013 at 08:28 AM.
SnorriHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 08:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
Dressy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinn View Post
Managed to get about 5 of us for Game of Thrones... going to try for a full group of 6 next week. So far it has been pretty fun. Alot of political intrigue and such..

I've got a copy of Risk Legacy that I am just waiting for the right group to try it out with... No idea how that will go.

Still waiting on Kingdom Death: Monster to become available.. really peaked my interest and now I just have to play the waiting game.
Still enjoying Game of Thrones board game? Been looking at it. Pro's and con's?

Also, Im looking at Pathfinder the card game. Good, bad?

I enjoy Munchkin, Bloodbowl (card game) and Talisman, so you can see which way i and the mates roll

Last edited by Dressy; 16th November 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:34 PM   #78 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

Bloodbowl was a real surprise and rates a mention. Fun game with good mechanics.

Pathfinder does look good next time there is a sale. All the reviews i have seen give it a big thumbs up. Hopefully i can add some custom cards to the decks.

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 16th November 2013 at 10:37 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 02:35 PM   #79 (permalink)

Goofy

First game of Letters from Whitechapel yesterday. We turned off the lights and played by candlelight. Good fun! Took a while, mainly because the police talked a lot about their plan (which is what you do, I know, but I think we overdid it). We narrowed Jacks hideout location down fairly quickly, but still couldn't manage to stop him from slipping past us each night. We got close, very close (didn't realise how close until after the game).

There's so much for the police to cover, and it's a real maze of alleys out there.

And you get reallllly sick of Jack saying "No"over and over (as you announce a location to search). If he says Yes, he has been there at some point, and you put a clue token on the board.

I liked Fury of Dracula better in its hidden movement, for 2 reasons. Dracula had to play a city card (faced own), so he can't backtrack. And when you turn up a city card, you know exactly how many turns ago Dracula was there, so it's easier to figure out where he could have gone after that.

Also played some Coup, another small, light game - that's almost entirely bluff. You can take money, or assassinate someone, if you have a certain role card, or if you just say you are that role. So you can say you are anyone, and if no one challenges you, it goes thru. If you're caught out, you lose one of your 2 cards. Lose both of them, and you're out of the game. So it's pretty quick. Still getting my head around it a bit, I'm not good at bluffing.
Old 17th November 2013, 03:14 PM   #80 (permalink)
Dressy

Proud owner of Pathfinder and a couple of add ons. Looks good, will let all know how it plays in the coming weeks.