The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Planetside 2 (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/planetside-2-public/)
-   -   How many TOGGERs can we expect to play? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/planetside-2-public/444308-how-many-toggers-can-we-expect-play.html)

MMOGAddict 17th July 2012 10:58 PM

How many TOGGERs can we expect to play?

I spent a number of years playing WW2Online and the first Planetside inside one of the larger organised outfits (Sturmgrenadier) and am really hoping that TOG can also pull off something similar in Planetside 2.

We used to field anywhere from 1 to 3 platoons at any one time fully coordinated and it made the game alot of fun.

I've not bothered playing with TOG's FPS divisions before as after games like WW2Online and Planetside it was hard to play little static FPS games like Battlefield so I have no idea how many people we're likely to get playing.

I'm wondering if some of TOG veteran FPS division players might have an idea of what our realistic numbers might be?

Duckforceone 17th July 2012 11:04 PM

i'm thinking over 300 members on and off... probably a core of over 100 active every day...

it's free to play
it's not pay to win
it has alot of the best things from the other current fps games, and it's just bigger and better...

and i'm afraid i might even be underestimating the numbers.... :D

MMOGAddict 17th July 2012 11:59 PM

Cool. Any idea if we can pull those sort of numbers off could we get our own TS server? (2_Islands can you chip in here if you are reading (or one of the other adminy types)

I've posted the way I've run large scale Planetside operations previously here http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...fit-setup.html (it's similar to your idea Duck with a few minor tweaks.)

If you watch the video in my first post you can even hear some of the comms chat (just ignore the RP crap)

Terraphon 18th July 2012 05:51 AM

If we field 300 members, I'll cry tears of joy.

2_islands 18th July 2012 07:12 AM

MMOGAddict, I'm unable to answer re own communications server. I will bring your question to the attention of 303 (Lead Admin) for further discussion.

Duckforceone 18th July 2012 07:21 AM

we might not need to have a com server..

i just heard during an interview, that they have ingame voice comms for outfits, and that they can create more sub channels for the outfit, have channels where only leaders can talk and stuff... :D

MMOGAddict 18th July 2012 09:52 AM

1. the quality of SOE voice comms have always been terrible

2. I doubt that SOE would have the flexibility of doing what I discussed here.

What they most likely have is CR restricted channels.

what games like Planetside need is a quick, easy, on the fly, managable voice comms system that allows for proper command and control. The flexibility of the system I outlined is it allows for ANYONE to lead a squad or a platoon at anytime just by having 2-3 keys setup in TS in advance.

Here is a vid that gives some idea of how the system works (the guy doing it could make it even a little more simple by setting a hotkey to turn channel commander on and off rather than doing it via mouse but you get the gist)

oldskool 18th July 2012 11:55 AM

I would expect at launch we will field somewhere in the 100 members area. 3-6 months after full launch i would easily say that number would double if not more.

This game is going to be huge for several reasons already pointed out. Free to play...but not pay to win. big advantage. TOG already has a vested interest in PS and I imagine that a lot of the core players from back in the day will return to check this game out.

Last and certainly not least TOG always represents itself well in all games. In PS1 we attracted the attention of several other outfits..gaming groups etc. I would expect this to happen and happen quite quickly in PS2. What numbers we may lack, we will fill with friends of TOG in game.

So I guess what I'm predicting is that PS2 will probably be one of TOG's largest divisions...very quickly after the game goes to full release. :)

Lots of fun fo sho!!

Cheers,

razalom 18th July 2012 01:42 PM

Being a PS1 vet I am guessing invites will be going out soon to test the game

Terraphon 18th July 2012 03:00 PM

Did you have a priority beta key or just trying to get in as a vet?