The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Podcasts (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/podcasts/)
-   -   TOG Games Industry Podcast - General Feedback (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/podcasts/262299-tog-games-industry-podcast-general-feedback.html)

Jakob_Pavlov 29th September 2009 11:08 PM

TOG Games Industry Podcast - General Feedback

Hi Guys,

I feel a new thread for this is probably needed as I just had a marathon session listening to 'casts 4-8 while driving my family to and from a wedding. I doubt I am going to be able to provided feedback in detail (as my attention was split between the road, radio that my wife was listening to, the DVD that my little girl was watching, and the podcast in my other ear!), but I wanted to give you some of my general thoughts.

In no particular order:
  • I really think that for each epidsode one of you (and it could change episode-to-episode) should take on the roll of "host". That person then controls (as far as the audience is concerned) the flow of the show and handles closing off segments and introducing new ones. Currently I feel the way this is being handled is a little confusing for both listeners and you guys.
  • I really think that the show could do with the input of another person, whether that be another permanent, or semi-permanent, member or guest spots......I've commented before that with two people, and no offence ment to either of you, the points of view being aired sometimes (and it is only a small amount of the time) come across as "lacking breadth". i.e. some of the comments relating to the lack of tactical options (or similar, I can't remember the exact wording) in TF2 had me cringing.
  • I think a quick 15 second promo for TOG either at the beginning or end would be appropriate.
  • .....and two tongue-in-cheek ones:
    • Get Ash some maths tuition! ;)
    • Sack the Squirrel!! ;) :p
I hope none of the above comes across badly, as I really enjoyed all that I listened to. :)
Keep up the good work guys,
Pav

Father 29th September 2009 11:16 PM

All constructive feedback is appreciated Jakob, some good ideas in there.

Ashlann 30th September 2009 01:59 AM

Thanks Jakob - all feedback is great:)

I'm not too shabby at math -- where did I slip up?? Oops!

Jakob_Pavlov 30th September 2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashlann (Post 2537485)
I'm not too shabby at math -- where did I slip up?? Oops!

I didn't mean to call you out on mate, just made me smile at the time :)

I think it was when you were adding up the buttons on the MMO specific mouse. It was something like "12+2, that's 13", and then I think you went on to say that using the control, shift and alt buttons gave you an additional 12 to the power of three functions which I guess is possible as you'd only need to use another 24 buttons on the keyboard......but is not really practical....I'm guessing you meant 12x3 (the 12 buttons plus shift, control, or alt)?

/maths geekiness
(I blame my old physics teacher, he was an absolute stickler for the detail........plus me being an engineer with no job at the moment probably means I have a lot of pent-up maths frustration! :()

Ashlann 30th September 2009 03:53 AM

No Jakob - you're exactly right - and I remember cringing when I was mastering that. That is, of course, exactly what I meant.

Killer Squirrel 3rd October 2009 03:03 AM

SACK THE SQUIRREL! WHAT!!?? I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on it.

FINE if thats how you feel Pav. :(

Ashlann 3rd October 2009 03:16 AM

We actually have received our very first 'Customer Review' on iTunes. It's awful. I wish we could delete these. Why is there so much TOG-hate?

edit: ah good - I found a way to report it.

Jakob_Pavlov 3rd October 2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Squirrel (Post 2542252)
SACK THE SQUIRREL! WHAT!!?? I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on it.

FINE if thats how you feel Pav. :(

:) I wondered how long you'd take to notice it mate :)

I love you really......no, honest.......really, I do........ :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashlann (Post 2542257)
We actually have received our very first 'Customer Review' on iTunes. It's awful. I wish we could delete these. Why is there so much TOG-hate?

edit: ah good - I found a way to report it.

I thought I reviewed your "first attempt" at iTunes (ep.1?).....maybe I am thinking about some other podcast. Anyhow......I'll try to think of something nice to write next time I am updating my iPod. :)

kamold 7th October 2009 07:47 PM

Been enjoying listening to the 'casts in the car instead of the same old on the radio.
Have already given some direct feedback to Ash but just wanted to throw a few suggestions out there for possible discussion in the future:

1. What game got you actually 'into gaming' rather than a casual player. For me it was seeing GLQuake on a Voodoo1....it blew my tiny little mind and I've never looked back.

2. Games that 'cross over' to another form of media (such as a podcast :) this has already been covered briefly but thought it could do with a full treatment. Particularly thinking about movies that have been made from a video game...
the good (in my opinion) some of the Resident Evil movies
the bad - anything by Uwe Bol
the interesting - King of Kong (a documentary but its about gaming and its great)
But there are also the opposite franchise games from movies, most of which bite some serious donkey balls.

Anyway just some ideas I had on the way home, I'll be listening to episode 9 in the car tomorrow morning :)
Keep up the great work guys.

Ashlann 7th October 2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamold (Post 2547865)
Anyway just some ideas I had on the way home, I'll be listening to episode 9 in the car tomorrow morning :)
Keep up the great work guys.

Thanks mate:)