Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th July 2007, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1192

Default FIRST ARCADE GAME PLAYED

I thought I would see who played some of the original Arcade Games. I have an Arcade machine at home running Mame so have all of the original games but I can remember the first time I seen an arcade game, I was in a Pub with my Dad on the way home from the Football, i was about 8 and it was at the Pascoe Vale Hotel in Melbourne.

It was a Pong type game, and although I was quite small, I still managed a game. Next game I ever saw was in the local shopping centre, it was Eveil Kneivel, this machine had handle bars and a throttle and you were required to gather up speed and jump buses, successfully clear the buses they would add another, you could also pop mono's across the screen. Sadly i am unable to find a pic of this machine, but it was red white and blue by memory. No color screens back then, just beautiful black and white. Next game the release of Space Invaders, which we played to death. I played just about every game from then on.

Clocked Scramble many a time, but although I loved and still do love these games I wasn't actually that good at many of them.
YZ250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th July 2007, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Frogger and Pacman would have to be the first arcade games for me. I was still pretty young, but loved them anyway.

Galaga was probably the first one I truly got into, closely followed by Arcanoid. There were so many then! I guess the eighties were truly the peak of the arcade. If you look at the new places now, they have the same ones from the last ten years! Sad that it's been totally replaced by Consoles and PC's really.

Anyone remember one based on an Elevator? Maybe that's what it was called?? I'll see what I can find. Loved that one too!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2004

Chatty

gotta say Pac Man

it was the only game in town ( Chillicothe Illinois) at this litte place called the Blarney Castle. Mom and Dad would take us there after dad's softball games.. they would drink and eat pizza and we would shovel quarters in the damn machine like there was no tomorrow.

Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 698

Interestingly enough, I had not played any real arcade games up until my mid teens for some reason, but the first ones I remember playing were The Simpsons / TMNT (good 4 way beat 'em up action) and Streetfighter 2

Actually yeah it was SF2 my first arcade game.
Used to play it every day with a few mates after school at the local dodgy video shop, as oposed to the not quite so dodgy one 2 shops down. LOL for some reason I always preferred the darkened cave one with the bearded lunatic running it What a guy, and of course the giant godzilla statue in the corner was always a good touch.

"A cute girl stopped me on the way, so I danced."- Kakashi Hatake
Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep got it Elevator Action, is the one you speak of.
Old 9th July 2007, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 698

Damn, I remember playing a marathon session of EA on my c64 for like 5 hours once. I don't think I have been the same since.

"A cute girl stopped me on the way, so I danced."- Kakashi Hatake
Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Funny Thing , like most games, with Elevator Action when you worked your way to the bottom of the building and sped away in your sports car, just to do it all again, but it gets progressively harder.

Crazy Climber was another interesting game, you proceed to climb up the side of a building as people open up windows and throw things to make you fall. Had an interesting operating method where you used 2 joysticks. I have this on my Mame Cabinet, but its fairly hard to play.
Old 9th July 2007, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9441

Breezy

Space Invaders obviously.......but closly folled by Galaga.

Man I loved doubling the ship up and then trying to beat my last score or just to be the top scorer.

Played a little of Elevator action to and Start Wars.
Old 9th July 2007, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2150

Lurking

Goodness ... it was either Space Invaders or Asteroids for me ... the simple graphics and the tenseness of the game ... what memories.

Tough was tis game which i played quite often and at only 20c a pop at the time it would last me for hours ... I would just continues to clock the thing then when I had to leave I would give the game over to a bystander who happened to be watching at the time with upteen number of spare ships. It was a ship shoot em up .. that is all I can remember.

I am always right .. right ?? Or is that left??
mettleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Enemy Territory
Elite - Post: 3369

I remember a pong type game played on the TV.

First arcade game was prob space invaders and yep, Galaga was up there

1st console type was vertex or vortex, which had a few games like asteroids on a small black and white screen. You put a coloured plastic sheet over the thing to get the colour of the game.

Then there was the Commodore 64. Hours upon hours spent rattling the joystick feverishly from side to side ready to jump in one of those summer Olympics things.

ah what memories

Bobcat

Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote