The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/)
-   -   Old hardware you still own? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/119595-old-hardware-you-still-own.html)

Rog69 18th July 2007 05:35 AM

Old hardware you still own?

last year I visited my parents who had been clearing out their attic and just by chance I noticed 3 cardboard boxes by the dustbin, which turned out to contain my beloved ZX Spectrum and hundreds of games on tape. naturally I rescued it (much to the annoyance of the wife) and it is now taking up space in my own attic. I did try and get it up and running again but I seem to have lost the power supply. I also still have my Amiga, which was still set up and in regular use until I moved house 3 years ago.
Anyone else still in possession of any old classic hardware?

Gaara 19th July 2007 12:24 PM

Hmmm, I know i still have a C64 and an Amiga still floating around somewhere, along with every iteration of the gameboy up to the last one before the Advance model. Along with a psx and an NES. I guess we have an N64 here too if that counts. LOL i even have an original 3DFX video card here too HAHAHAH

Deadfyre 19th July 2007 02:31 PM

Hmm, apparently the forum ate my post as reply to this thread.

Take 2.

I started my pc repair times back in 87. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, I, like always, made it up as I went along. It was a silly thing at 1st, one of the drives on my apple had gone out, so I had to replace it. Later that next week, the sound card in my PS/2 crapped out. That started me off, the whole upgrade thing. 20 years later I still make house calls, phone support for friends and build pc's for people I like.

During this time, I amassed an insane amount of left over crap in my parents basement. I dont visit them often but I know its still there. 8088's, 8086's (big green box, 4 inc green screen, fold out keyboards). 386's, 486's, case's, power supplies, a box of ram from simms, dimms, pc100, pc133, pc66, pc33, down to the 286/386 ram. old hard drives (back in the days when a 4 meg hard drive was cool! more cd roms then I want to count, keyboards and mice by the score. modems, oh lord, the modems. 2400, 9600, external, internal, 14's, 28.8's. monitors. I could build a small building out of monitors. outdated apple systems, more monitors. video cards: riva's, a 3dfx voodoo, a voodoo 2, 2 voodoo 3's, 1meg, 2 meg, 4 meg trident cards. six or so outdated and forgotten printers, floppy drives, 3.5, 5.25, a couple of forgotten zip drives. I think theres a tape drive still down there that works. you could throw a tape drive at a wall at it would still work.

probably the one thing I hold onto with fondness, is a 56k hardware gaming modem. I bought it online to play UO with back in the day when no one had dsl or cable, and maybe 1 in 50 had an isdn connect. that thing rocked. This was back in 98 or so. a US robotics modem. I think I paid like 80$ for the damn thing, but I used it solidly for 5 years or so till I got cable. I could be on a crap computer, and still register 50ms pings to Great Lakes & Siege with it. Those were the days.

Back in the late 80's and 90's, I was good friends with the fella who ran the only BBS in Southern Illinois, I'd spend days over there talking and learning. Joe was a cool fella, though a bit stubborn. To this day, he still runs his BBS, as well as his own ISP (he has a t3 line to his house that he bills off to locals for 56k inet). Thats not funny, what is funny, is that even in 2007, he runs the whole thing off of Pentium 2 machines. He is classic, and refuses to upgrade, saying that it runs fine, so he has no reason to upgrade. A couple of months ago he went off line to start his upgrade finally, but it hasn't come back up. I wonder if it stopped working out of spite for not having the familiar P2's running it.

Only the ghosts in the machines knows.

YZ250 19th July 2007 04:02 PM

Deadfyre, excellent story m8, youd certainly be a handy bloke to know in the neighbourhood

Adeptus 19th July 2007 04:27 PM

I have an Amiga CD32 - it's like an A1200 minus keyboard, disk drive, and a few other bits, but has a CDROM drive instead.

Sold my A500 and C64 some time ago, but still have a printer & disk drive for the C64.

And an assortment of 486-era bits & pieces...

Puggsy 29th November 2007 09:14 PM

I've got a 3DO with Road Rash! Beat that, I dares ya!

Gaara 30th November 2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puggsy (Post 1556929)

Does the 3DO pc unit count? I have a 3DO drive for pc somewhere. It was basically the same thing, just.. smaller... and.. for pc lol.

Vulcan21 30th November 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puggsy (Post 1556929)

Yep. I've still got an original Sega Mega Drive with Road Rash and Road Rash 2. :p

Plus an assortment of 486 parts and even an old Atari 800XL somewhere in storage.

Gaara 1st December 2007 05:25 PM

Also have an Amstrad Mega PC floating about somewhere, amstrad oc with internal megadrive :D

Tularian 1st December 2007 06:40 PM

SNES with TMNT 4, Super Metroid, legend of Zelda LTTP, Contra 3, Super Punch Out, Castlevania 4 and Dracula X, Actraiser, Street Fighter 2 and Turbo, Final Fantasy 2 and 3 and a few other games here and there just a collection I have been working on for a few years.