The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/)
-   -   Bards Tale (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/121461-bards-tale.html)

Antsy 30th July 2007 06:22 AM

Bards Tale

I've been playing Etrian Oddessy on me DS a lot lately, its a cracking little RPG very much in the vein of The Bards Tale games.

GameAlmighty.com - Etrian Odyssey - DS

Now I'm really jonesing for a proper remake or update of the Bards Tale games. A, when I remember the hours and hours spent hunched over my c64 and graph paper "borrowed" from school, drawing maps of all the dungeons as I went :D

Gaara 5th August 2007 07:47 PM

LOL, I think the bards tale games were a little over my head at the time. I don't think I really got in to rpgs in any form until maybe Final Fantasy 7.. unless the 2 zelda games on NES count of course.

YZ250 9th August 2007 12:42 PM

I agree Gaara, dont know what it was just never got around to playing Bards Tale, maybe the same a little over my head

paenggoy 9th August 2007 06:26 PM

I remember playing a game on an Apple IIc+. Is Bard's Tale the one with the 3D line graphics?

morte 13th August 2007 09:40 AM

yup 3d line graphs in the dungeons... countless hours I spent back in the c64 days with graph paper slowly mapping every dungeon (damn those teleporters and spinner traps) 8)

Tulgar 13th August 2007 10:53 AM

lol. BT3 was one of my favourites. I was blown away how big the game was.

I actually got a c64 emulator recently just to play it again. even got some .pdf file somewhere with the wheel coder thingy. I loved the auto-mapper!! :)

Sytes 14th August 2007 11:16 AM

If I recall correctly - I played Bards Tale from CASSETTE on my Commodore Vic 20... It may have been the 64.. though pretty sure it was the VIC20..

WOW! YOU BROUGHT BACK SOME INCREDIBLE MEMORIES!!!! Haha!

How about LUNAR LANDER for the Sinclair? LOL! The days of BASIC LANGUAGE...

10 IF "xxxxx" goto 30
20 IF "YYYY" goto 40

WOW! Haha! Good times!

Chewbacca 14th August 2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paenggoy (Post 1402776)
I remember playing a game on an Apple IIc+. Is Bard's Tale the one with the 3D line graphics?

Could also have been Wizardry....but I played Bards Tale as well. So many paper maps on my desk at the time......anyone remember playing cards for money in Bards Tale?

Drac 14th August 2007 05:41 PM

Bards Tale rocked!

I was big on RPGs from a young age. My older brother used to (and still does) run pen & paper RPGs, back then it was classic D&D and Rifts (Palladium). I remember walking to school whan I was in the 4th grade chatting to my other brother (also older) about my characters and the past weekends adventures. Bards tale and the D&D games of a similar ilk were some of my favourites on the C64.

I preferred Pool of Radiance and the other D&D games over Bards Tale though. My characters always had pink and purple hair.

Gaara 14th August 2007 07:51 PM

Pen and Paper RPGs, I have been constantly disturbed by basements full of people with their pen paper cards and the like.

Or measuring tapes for those in Warhammer land :D Just seems a little strange folk to me.