Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd August 2007, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 698

Default Gamebase 64

Hmmm not sure if anyone is familiar with this but there is a project site out there that is continually developing an amazing database and frontend for accessing c64 games/music/images/extras all though one frontend system, allowing you to select a game and play it through one of many emulators provided along with integrated playing of sid files thru pathing to a sid player, pictures of the artists that worked on the music, screenshots etc. Think of it as MAME for windows of the c64 world

GB64.COM - C64 Games, Database, Music, Emulation, Frontends, Reviews and Articles

You can obviously get a full torrent containing all their stuff plus the roms, but if you dont wanna go that path the gamebase engine etc can be d/l and you can add the games you want seperately from the games available from the same site.

I personally have burned all of the cds to folders on a dvd and only have to install the engine/db stuff + emulators and everything else can run directly from the disc.

"A cute girl stopped me on the way, so I danced."- Kakashi Hatake
Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd August 2007, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 270

That front end looks very similar to what the Mame team did for all the old arcade games

MAME - The Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator site
Crowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Journalist

Yeah, that was my first impression too, as I said its kinda like MAME for the 64

Old 7th August 2007, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 861

Crappy

Ive been useing CCS64, I will have a look at this one though.

Thanks for the link
Stoned_Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Journalist

CCS64 is just the emulator, being one of those included in the package, along with VICE and another one I think. GB64 is merely a user friendly frontend for loading the games though your preferred emulator as well as being able to look at photos of developers/musicians etc, boxart, sid music and various other things like seeing info about the games developers/year of creation/if it has trainers or not etc. Pretty much like mame for windows does for mame roms but much better.

*edit* I use CCS64 myself for most 64 emulation, though there are a handful that tend to work better or in some cases at all (i know some that dont like ccs) on Vice

Old 8th August 2007, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 849

Shocked

Gamebase rocks.

It is truly staggering just how many games were released for the C64 - I thought I had a lot back in the day, what with my habit of paper-punching the extra write notch in the left side of my "Imagineering" 5 1/4" floppies

◊ Steam shock_ ◊ GFWL shock64738 ◊ BFBC2 shock... ◊ GameSpy TOG|shock
shock_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Journalist

Well my GB64 V3 Database currently lists 17450 games in total.
Accounting for translated duplicates.. the filtering of all non english listings brings it to 14410 english titles lol. Thats still a lot.