Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th September 2007, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2101

Default Kings Quest

When I had my first computer, an apple IIe, I used to lug my computer to a local community hall and partake in swapping games and resourceing public domain games. One of my first games was King's Quest (original) (remember the magic bowl).....anyhow.

I then got into other Sierra classics such as the Kings quest series, Police Quest and I play one of the Space Quests........oh and I forgot Lesiure Suit Larry.

Is it possible for me to to access these games now and play them on a modern machine?????

I wish to embark on a King's Quest down memory lane!!!!!!
C is for cookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th September 2007, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1997

I believe Kings Quest and Police Quest were both recently re-released here. Not sure if you would find them down your way though.

Up here Future Shop (standard electronics / games store) was selling them. As far as playing, I think at least XP compatible (just a simple port of some form I think)

From the Kings Quest Wiki...

"In September 2006 Vivendi Universal released King's Quest Collection, a compilation CD for Windows XP encompassing games I-VII. Rather than porting the games directly, however, the release used the original, unmodified versions run under the DosBox emulator and a Windows frontend. As a result, it is also possible to run King's Quest I-VI on other platforms with a little tweaking and ports of DosBox versions .63-.65. (King's Quest VII is run natively under Windows, and compatibility was broken under DosBox .70.)"

Police Quest & Space Quest both have similar comments. Nothing on the Quest for Glory series though...

Last edited by Kalisn; 8th September 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Kalisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Call of Duty & Titanfall
Lethal - Post: 5492

Cheeky

What about Hero's quest, that was my fav!!

Quest for Glory I: So You Want to Be a Hero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ahh the EGA graphics, what memories!!!!!
Originally Posted by 303
And I love hoppy
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Dangerous - Post: 698

Cookie send me a pm about your request pls.
Also can help you manage to get any you have to run on XP.
Spent too much time messing with them to get them running.

"A cute girl stopped me on the way, so I danced."- Kakashi Hatake
Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 102

These versions of KQ 1&2 are supposed to run on XP

AGD Interactive
DarrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Journalist

Yeah fan remakes of 1+2, also Fan Kq9 is on its way soon from The Silver Lining: A game inspired by the King's Quest series

Old 20th September 2007, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2101

Thx guys........

The quest has begun
C is for cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Average - Post: 196

Angelic

The entire Kings Quest series has been remade and released in a pack. So has Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest.

I actually own the Kings Quest collection and Leisure Suit Larry collection and I can confirm they all work on my PC - they've even upgraded the first games. ((Only slightly. upgraded the graphics just a little bit, and added voices to the games)).

I've never played the Space Quest games so I never got that collection.

I also found Sam & Max hit the road. Which is also re-released and plays on here. Now all I'm waiting for is for them to re-release Day of the Tentacle XD
Old 28th November 2007, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelisa View Post
The entire Kings Quest series has been remade and released in a pack. So has Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest.

I actually own the Kings Quest collection and Leisure Suit Larry collection and I can confirm they all work on my PC - they've even upgraded the first games. ((Only slightly. upgraded the graphics just a little bit, and added voices to the games)).

I've never played the Space Quest games so I never got that collection.

I also found Sam & Max hit the road. Which is also re-released and plays on here. Now all I'm waiting for is for them to re-release Day of the Tentacle XD
The only games remade were kings quest 1 and 2 iirc and larry 1. The collections are merely a repacking of the original games plus those remakes.
They are just offered all together but with some less than reliable methods of running them on pcs that are a little newer. Most people I know have had to find better ways of running them than those offered by sierra/vivendi lol. So i am glad you can run them using native tools offered in that pack.

As for Sam'n'Max I find that some portions of the game dont run as they did when it was first released, but both that and day of the tentacle amongst many others (some of which are the recently added Kings Quest 1-4, Leisure Suit Larry 1, Space quest 1 & 2, Manhunt 1-2 and Police Quest 1) for those who have these games and have troubles with getting them to run properly.

I guess its time to make a slight adjustment to my scummvm thread now in light of my noticing this.

Old 28th November 2007, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Average - Post: 196

Angelic

No.. I haven't had any problem.. It's litterally a collection which has been remade to work for Windows XP and such. they all run without using any other program. Just install them, click which game you wanna play, and it runs.