Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1529

Sneaky
Default Addiction replacement for WoW

I've recently been having major computers issues keeping me from being able to feed my super addiction of WoW, and have been tempted to delve back into the world of old console gaming... Mario Kart was first up - but due to my son somehow misplacing the power cord it didn't happen. So now my husband and I are having the great debate of Sonic vs. Crash Bandicoot (in other words, we haven't even dug out the old consoles yet, since we haven't decided on the game). We're trying to find a game that would be a good, "Play til you die, then pass the controller." This rules out many RPG games (which is what 90% of my games are).

So what are some good either multiplayer old console games or good 'pass til dead' games? Then I can stop in the used game store on the way home and raid the place of something fun to do tonight!

I should set up a family old console olympics... or something... lol (I'd so lose on any FPS events)
Lowbies - Monshel (panda monk), Treshel (troll warrior), Sheladin (pretty pally),
paygem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd May 2008, 04:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 612

Goofy

First thing I thought of was Super Mario World for the SNES. You can take turns as Mario and Luigi clearing the areas co-op style. And definitely one of the absolute best Mario platforms ever made (I downloaded it from the Virtual Console for my Wii!)

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie for the N64 was always fun for the wife and I. Kept us busy for hours at a time. One of the better 3D platformers by Rare. Take turns clearing levels or swap when you die.

For real co-op platform gaming, I always liked Contra III: The Alien Wars for the SNES. Side scrolling and several top-down levels made for fun gameplay.

As you can tell, I'm a classic Nintendo fan. Enjoy!
Old 19th May 2008, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 3

Hi Paygem. Here are some personal recommendations of fun games that you can "play 'till die" or swap around the controller and have a really fun and enjoyable gaming experience. I also have left WoW after about 2.5 - 3 years of high level raiding (MC, BWL, AQ40, NAXX, SSC, TK, MH, BT and lately Sunwell Plateau) and it has been a welcome experience to come back to enjoy playing games instead of repeating the same task over and over again. Here we go:

SNES

Secret of Mana: RPG, amazing game, a cult hit and it has a nice multiplayer mode. It also has a great storyline, beautiful graphics, lovely music. Great experience.

Chrono Trigger: Another RPG, event better than Secret of Mana. Don't rule this one out as I have cleared it many times with friends, one in control and one helping out. A great great game and you will experience one of the crown jewels on the SNES software catalogue.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:Turtles in Time: A great side scrolling beat'em'up. Not too long, not too difficult and it is very entertaining. Multiplayer.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo: THE fighting game for the SNES. Easy to learn, difficult to master, highly competitive and the hours just fly by when you play this. This game is in my personal top 5 games for the SNES, along with Super Mario Kart.

Super Metroid: Tough and rewarding. You WILL die frequently so everybody gets a go. Great graphics, great storyline and mood.

Super Parodius: Alternating multiplayer side scrolling shooting that is a parody of a wide variety of Konami games. Simple fun.

Pocky and Rocky: Another shoot'em'up, 2 players vertical scroller. Bright and cute graphics, not much of a challenge but every enjoyable.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbarre Goemon): Brilliant game, 2 players, lots of humor, lovely graphics and very appealing if you like anything japanese medieval style.

I have mentioned mainly SNES because between the SNES and the Megadrive / Genesis, I had most fun with the SNES. I have about 400 games for the SNES (cart's) and about 250 for the Megadrive / Genesis, and there are many great games but these ones spring to mind. Additionally, the should be quite cheap to pick up second hand.

If you have a bit of extra cash I would also recommend picking up a Pc Engine / Turbografx (it has a lot of great shoot em ups and platform games) and if you like fighting games, you really need to get a Neo Geo. I have quite a few games for Pc Engine and Neo Geo Cart and they are great systems.

Another recommendation would be to pick up a really great and underrated console, the Sega Dreamcast. Dead or Alive, Resident Evil, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, or Shenmue spring to mind.

I also concur with Bonkman's choice of N64 games, and I would add both Zelda games, Mario Kart (the have been great on all of the Nintendo platforms), and the amazing Super Mario 64.

A final thing: one of the things that helped me quit WoW (and drain my pockets) was following series of games across different platforms. I recently finished all of the classic Dragon Quest games (PS2, SNES, Gameboy and NES) and had a great time, and I picked up a few of the Dragon Quest titles I didn't have quite cheaply.

I hope these recommendations help, and I hope you and your husband have a great time enjoying some of these classics!
kuantize is offline   Reply With Quote