Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th March 2009, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2103

Default Freespace 2

lol...I was going through some of my games I have had in boxes for....well lets just say a long time and I found my original disks for Freespace 2.

I thought what the heck, I have been looking for a space twitch game lately why not see if I can load it up and see if it will run.

Bam! Vista x64 and it runs like a dream (I never install any game on [C:\Programs Files], and never have to run any game as admin, same in this case.)

It's even been a blast playing and while the 3D graphics are a bit dated the game itself is still leaps and bounds above many even today.

Got an itch for some space yanking and banking? See if you can find a copy and I bet you will not be disappointed!

Altaholic (To many in too many)
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th March 2009, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1742

Sleepy

I have recently installed it too and updated it with the community source code updates which gives the graphics a huge update, check out -

FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freespace Source Code Project - Home / News

FSOInstaller.com

Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yah, I knew about the SCP and think it's great, just wanted to actually finish the original before hopping into that since I didn't before

Old 1st April 2009, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 611

I remember that game, was excellent, one of the last great space shooters I played. Shame the series ended there I can't think of one as good as it that has come out since.
my_right_buttock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would check out the links Rog posted MRB.

Heck even Freelancer has gotten new life in being released into some kind of community update system.

Old 4th April 2009, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3871

Scared

I have never found a another space shooter like Freespace2 that even comes close, some of my best gaming memories are playing this game through the entire comapaign and on lan.

If we can get a following or even a night for a dogfight with the latest released code count me in

Bikkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fox
Clown Administrator
Be Afraid of the Clown
All Knowing - Post: 18206

Breezy

Freespace 1 & 2 have had some of the most engaging storylines ever. The gameplay was awesome. Tackling those capital ships was so immersive. Juggling the shields, scanning cargo, zipping around the hull of a mothership trying to dodge incoming fire, calling in a repair pod while limping to a teleport thingy. Totally awesome.

We're all in different timezones but I'd be up for the challenge!! I'd have to find my disks but!!
Old 20th August 2009, 05:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

Damn right, Fix. Both Freespace games were sweet. Their predecessors Descent 1 and 2 had me hooked - I loved 'every way is up' in a maze of passages and the surprise attacks by swarming enemies
I rushed out to get Freespace and was blown away - they perfected the genre, beating reigning champs Xwing and TIE Fighter.

games.on.net have what what they call the Freespace 2 client files.
They look suspiciously large, but the site looks reputable. Haven't got the bandwidth at the moment to check what the files are.
misternicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 05:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

oops Fix=Fox
got my vawils moxed ap
misternicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 06:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 416

Tired

X vs Tie wasn't too bad.

Loved Freespace 1, played it through multiple times. Was disappointed with the add-on that came out for it, can't remember the name. Never had a chance to try FS2. Have had the cdrom for years, just never loaded it up.

Tried Freelancer and the X series, but those weren't quite the space simulations I wanted.
grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote