The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/)
-   -   Revisiting the games you wasted a youth on (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/232685-revisiting-games-you-wasted-youth.html)

Mecha-Wombat 19th April 2009 07:07 AM

Revisiting the games you wasted a youth on

I have been doing some searching to get some of those old games that won you over with gameplay rather than bling

I have now got some that I would waste whole weekends during summer playing

Pirates by Sid Meiers( the original from 86)
Street Rod
North and South

Man these rock so much more than some current games (looks at CRYSIS:mad:)

So does anyone have a game that they will not give up even though its considered ABANDONWARE

God I love these old games I still have the 5 1/4 floppies for some of them LOL

Leevers 19th April 2009 08:26 PM

One game in particular that got me started on gaming was a 2d client based game called

'Infantry Online' It was a free to play game based when the developers ran things. Sony bought them out and started charging a fortune. After that they lost over 200,000 players.
It was ranked as one of the most popular 2d games in the world.

Not widely known, and am yet to find anyone on TOG that remembers this game.
It's still available to play, but they changed aspects of the game I found fun.
The game has a ranking system similar to that of the Battlefield series, but to get to the highest rank was harder than any game i've seen to date. There were even secret ranks only a handful had achieved and we all chased these ranks playing 24hours a day.
I would get up at 7am, and play through until 7am the next morning.... Wow did I watch weekend fly by!

Would love to hear from anyone who used to play this

I used to play on dialup with lag worse than a mitsubishi lancer with a giant snail.

kiwiitis 20th April 2009 04:48 PM

I have just revisited Transport Tycoon Delux surprised to find it is now a whole new ball game with an open version ported to c++ called Openttd and even now still adding content.It runs without a hitch on my vista64.

TeddyGore 29th April 2009 01:27 AM

Spent many an hour playing Rails West on the C64. Closest thing to it now is the railway tycoon series and Sid Meiers Railroads. Having cranked up Rails West in an emulator recently I still found it strangely addictive and nothing beats printing the end of year report to see what the new share prices would be.....maybe thats just me. Come to think of it. The ticker tape on C64 game Wall Street was pretty exciting as well. God I sound boring!

Mecha-Wombat 3rd May 2009 05:02 AM

Sid Meiers is a GOD

recently started playing doom and wolfenstien on Flash 10 at work LOL

Tulgar 3rd May 2009 05:37 PM

lol, I had forgot all about streetrod! What a great game, it certainly sucked many hours on my 64 :) Pirates was the probably the most significant game of my youth. I didn't have the map that came with the box, so I had no clue where anything was - but that just made it more interesting!!

I think these days, I can close my eyes and still sail around that map with the hours I put into it! :)

Bards Tale 3 would have to be the other big time sink for me.

Henchman#2 5th May 2009 05:33 PM

Hi all, great place btw I have been playing on the TOG TF2 server and all are a great bunch of blokes so I thought I drop by.

Back to the thread.

For some reason lately Canon Fodder on the Amiga has been irking the back of my mind. I would love to get on this again someday.

I also loved the summer/winter games series on the C64 my friend and I as kids spent entire weekends on this. Gah til this day the cycling event in Summer Games II still haunts me.

Tulgar 5th May 2009 10:09 PM

haha! Canon Fodder on the Amiga rocked! that had the cool song yeah?

YouTube - Cannon Fodder Amiga game intro :)

zero 6th May 2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiitis (Post 2314089)
I have just revisited Transport Tycoon Delux surprised to find it is now a whole new ball game with an open version ported to c++ called Openttd

Had a game tonight using OpenTTD with a few mates ... the game is still awesome.

Henchman#2 6th May 2009 12:25 PM

Hi Tulgar, yes it did.

I was going to link it but I see you already beaten me to it.

I was thinking THE game that I wasted most of my very early youth was Elite on the BBC Micro. Vector graphic spinning space station docking goodness.