Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th August 2009, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 6

Lurking
Default Little Big Adventure Series

Little Big Adventure 1

Little Big Adventure (LBA) is a PC game made by Adeline Software International and first released at the end of 1994.

It was released in Europe by Electronic Arts and in North America, Asia and Oceania under the name Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure by Activision, with the game selling over 350,000 copies worldwide in the first release.

The game was initially released in a CD-ROM version and some time later in a floppy disk version; the CD-ROM version featured full motion video, music and speech whereas the floppy disk version has MIDI music files and still images to replace the videos.

The game was later ported to the PlayStation, and released in Europe and Japan. A sequel was released under the name of Little Big Adventure 2 (also known as Twinsen's Odyssey).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can still get this great game to run with LBAWIN or DOSBOX.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Big Adventure 2

Little Big Adventure 2 (LBA2) is a computer game made by the core team who created the first Alone in the Dark. It was first released on May 25, 1997, and that very first version is currently one of the rarest two versions of the game, since it was the Original European version of the game.

It was later re-released by Activision in June 1997 in both the United States, and in Brazil, under the name Twinsen's Odyssey. In July 1997, both Electronic Arts and Virgin Interactive Software re-released LBA2 - Virgin Interactive Software doing so under the name of "Twinsen's Odyssey". LBA2 sold over 600,000 copies worldwide.

The game is a sequel to Little Big Adventure (also known as Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure). LBA2 was also the third game created under the label of Adeline Software International. The game features three dimensional environments and full motion video, and all of its music is in CD Audio quality.

In early previews - mostly of the 1996 pre-release version - there were some drastic differences from the final version. Examples include the ferry being in the style of the ferry in the original Little Big Adventure, the woodbridge on Citadel Island being intact rather than broken, Emerald Moon having a Twinsunian blue sky, and differences in the characters (mostly Zeelichians) - most notably the Franco guards seen on Twinsun after the invasion.

You can still get this great game to run with Funnyfrog's Patch or LBA2\TO Executable

Old 10th August 2009, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurking

Fan Games or Mods

LBA: Prequel

The goal of this project is to make a prequel of LBA1 using the original engine. Still in the making. Link to their website Magicball Forum Link

LBA: The Great Rebellion

A game, made on the LBA 1 engine, and set between LBA 1 and LBA 2, in middle of the outbreak of a mass rebellion, and Twinsen has to end the rebellion.Link to their website Magicball Forum link
LBA: Lupin Island Destiny
A game made on the LBA 1 engine. Magicball Forum Link
Old 10th August 2009, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

I loved the LBA games! The audio design for one was outstanding (or that's how I remember it) I might have to get downloading.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Rocket View Post
I loved the LBA games! The audio design for one was outstanding (or that's how I remember it) I might have to get downloading.
Hey King_Rocket, LBA 1 may not work without the original CD, i'm not quite sure but you could aways give it a shot.

I still have the Original CD's of both 1 & 2 since i was child, i don't think i will get rid of them any time soon.

Did you know the makers of lba is still thinking about making a 3rd game?

Seal
Old 11th August 2009, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Pensive

No I did not, interesting.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
Old 11th August 2009, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
No I did not, interesting.
The creators want to create the game but there are some complications. The exact details can be found in the linked articles. There have been some recent developments around LBA3 and the new company of Frederick Raynal: "Ludoid". In fact, there is a fairly big chance that LBA3 will go in development in the near future. Read the LBA3 Campaign page for more information.

Not a lot of information is known because the game is not in production yet. But here are some "facts".
  • The game will feature Twinsen and Zoe's son, called Arthur.
  • The sub-title is The Stellar Entity Genesis, or a-like
  • You'll be able to control more than one character (Twinsen, Zoe and Arthur)
  • All of Twinsun will be available in the game
  • The game will at least be released on the PC
  • The game will be more realistic, but still keeping the LBA style

In other news:

Soul Bubbles is the latest game where LBA's creator, Fréd Raynal, helped with the production. He offered "spiritual and game design guidance" to the game's creators. The game was released on June 13th 2008 this year for the Nintendo DS

Soul Bubbles
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little-Worlds Studios releases "Color Cross"
Color Cross is a picross-like puzzle game, with the neat twist of having to form colored pictures.
Its available for PC, DS and iPhone.
A 1-hour demo of the PC version is available here
Sébastien Viannay also informs us that Parcal Dubois, who formly worked on LBA2 has also joined their team.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11th August 2009, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pensive

Do you know what perspective the game will be using?

Old 11th August 2009, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Do you know what perspective the game will be using?
No idea, sorry mate
Old 12th August 2009, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

I too have strong memories of the LBA games In fact, I still have the original CD for the second one
Old 13th August 2009, 06:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6616

Grumpy

These were great games and ones i have completed by myself without any help from outside influences.

Thanks for reminding me of happy times