Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th December 2010, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 70

Confused
Default restoring old computer to play ol games...

i am rebuilding my 20 year old Compaq Presario to play the old games with..

i ran into an old friend on FaceBook who is trying to get Crimson Skies going again.. =THG= Hunter, i was =SAF= Black_Rain i played against him for about 5+ years.. i still miss that game and the people i flew with.

Crimson Skies was a great game, not hard to learn like Simulators, what had a learning curve was tatics, there was a Clan of Marine Pilots that really kicked all our ass's. we met on Thursdays and practised combat manovers with a great teacher. CS was the first real flying game. we flew on the msn ZONE before it dumpted us... i was moving at the time and lost track of everyone.

my XP OS disk got scratched so i sent it into to be "Refurbished", great site

CD & DVD Disk Scratch Removal, Video Game Disc Repair Services As Low As $1.00 -

old games don't work on my Windows7 64bit rig..

i had an old Jaton 1700 le... the fan on it went out, too old not fixable. so i took the old heat sink off and put one on that looked like this
Newegg.com - Enzotech CNB-SI Forged copper 1100 Heatsinks only

it's about 2" square, i bonded it on with the Artic Silver epoxy. hot glued on a little fan i had.. it worked great for several years till i built this computer. i formatted the ATA 40 Gig HD.. put an ATA LG optical reader in it.. as soon as i get the OS back i'll fire it up.

Crimson Slies was going to made into a movie series.. Crimson Skies, Highroad to Revenge.. sell the models of the planes, action figures.. blimp models the planes fit in etc.. program the new games to make the planes drop bombs.. more possabilities for sequals than than 'Halloween'.. but Microsoft dumped all its PC games and hardware.. because there wasnt going to be any money in them.. sorta like not signing Elvis... so they made the Sky Captain movie instead.. what a dog that was. but now there is some rumours about redo'n CS.. and the movies.

Old 31st December 2010, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Memory
Ace - Post: 8622 TOG Legend

Relaxed
Talking

My hubby, Dazaroo, still has crimson skies floating about the place, he's built an old 98 machine for a lot of his really old games but has found workarounds for xp as well with many of them. I recently upgraded his pc to an i5 with win7 32 bit but he does miss some of the old games that don't run on it
We are about to do a clean out of our back shed which has many really old pc parts if your interested I can pm you with with what we have in case some of it will suit your old machine and keep it going, b4 it all goes to the dump "you guys don't like to get rid of stuff"

"Happy New Year"

Thank you Chiack

Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Confused

HI Carnaldestruct

I would be interested in an upgrade to my Celeron 2.4 256Mb Ram UNIT.

if you have a Pentium or Pentium III.. i would send you the money to mail the CPU, MOBO, the twisted wire from the case front switch to the motherboard

pm me..
Old 18th January 2011, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
In Memory
Ace - Post: 8622 TOG Legend

Relaxed
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
HI Carnaldestruct
I would be interested in an upgrade to my Celeron 2.4 256Mb Ram UNIT.
if you have a Pentium or Pentium III.. i would send you the money to mail the CPU, MOBO, the twisted wire from the case front switch to the motherboard
pm me..
No worries G when he gets off his bum starts the back shed I'll give you a yell with what we have lying about in there

Thank you Chiack

Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Confused

well.. i worked on my old Compaq Presario for about 6 hours.. DOA.. it has died and is burning in hell where it belongs. it really never worked right.. but i learned so much about fixing/making computers while it was tormenting me for 2 decades..

i put an ad in FreeCycle.. a guy replies and told he he has an old Pentium3 unit for free, picking it up tomorrow.. i really like the old games like Breed where the gun were Trajectory Weapons. you had to calculate in your mind how to aim.. like the 40mm's in BC2 without the sights.

I'll have to clean it up, blow the lint out of the heat sinks.. replace the thermal paste..

Last edited by Gnascher; 22nd January 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Gnascher is offline   Reply With Quote