The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/)
-   -   Ultima Online (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/retro-gaming-nostalgia/457053-ultima-online.html)

Birko 24th September 2012 08:08 PM

Ultima Online

Nostalgia!
Just wondering if anyone is playing Ultima Online as it's having the 15th year anniversary.
All old accounts are now active for the month of September.
For me, it was the MMO with the best gameplay and the community that it created ingame.
Graphically poor, but you always felt you achieved something every time you played. No levels, just skills.
Are there any old UO players still out there ?
http://members.optushome.com.au/togq...oTOGsig_sm.jpg

Justin Kace 25th September 2012 10:29 AM

Yeah UO was my first serious MMO (I played on dial up!). I played Meridian 59 before UO, but didn't really get into it and dropped it like a hot spiky ball of firey acid covered in biting ants as soon as UO released.

A lot of love for the old days of the game. I remember crafting bows for hours to get my first suit of plate and wandering off to the graveyard like I was invincible only to leave as a ghost 15 minutes later to the mocking sound of pker laughter (and ooOOoOooOOoo).

I still remember the first time I wandered across an ettin (and fleeing in terror) and also the first time I took down an ettin solo. And hitting GM swords in... The dungeon with all the stone elementals.

Probably one of the strongest memories though, is 'corp por, corp por, corp por, OooOoooOOOOoooOooOOo' and run off to find a healer. The PKing was madness!!

Birko 2nd November 2012 12:02 AM

These shards are illegal and are not sanctioned by the game developer, hence why I have edited this post. From our AUP

Quote:

* contains pirated or illegal software or crack serial numbers that are designed to circumvent proper software licensing and registration;
* breaking any EULA;

nkr 2nd November 2012 04:13 AM

As above

Justin Kace 2nd November 2012 01:15 PM

Thanks Birko. I'll check it out next time the urge bites. Too many games and not enough time is the motto at the moment unfortunately. ;)

betonme 6th December 2012 06:32 AM

LOL i didn't even know people played UO anymore. think everyone went to WOW.

Acheronis 22nd March 2013 03:32 AM

Oh gosh, so many memories!

Was my first MMO and also played on dial up. I had a crafter that hung out in Minoc's mines.

ooOOOOooOOoo was followed by some pk'er looking to pick up some easy ores that I've spent hours mining.

Fun times :D

If you're looking for a game with a similar take on the mechanics check out Wurm Online.

Averno 30th June 2013 05:51 AM

I played UO a lot between 1999 and 2001.

Played it again last week after a friend requested we give it a trial.

The new client is good once you get over the initial shock of things seeming somewhat out of place and the game seems far more stable than I ever remember it being. But it's like trying some candy that you remember from your youth. The game just doesn't have the same luster that it had 'back in the day'. The community is really small now (though not as small as I expected it to be) and it can be really difficult to find player vendors for even the most basic items like a full spell book or a wooden chest.

I will always love UO, but it's like an old girlfriend who has put on a lot of weight, had a few kids and picked up a major collection of wrinkles.

Topfuel 30th October 2013 09:48 PM

I remember getting the game installing it and thats about it, with really bad dialup and a very bad pc throw in the errors and it was impossible to play.

yester64 4th February 2014 01:48 PM

I always wanted to play UO at the time, but i did not had the money and dialup, yes what a pain.
If i would be able to find a game that has the same graphics but with more people and a really good economy i think i would jump in.
But i guess these kind of games are hard to find.