Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!

Retro Gaming and Nostalgia! Where PacMan swallowed his first pill.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th August 2014, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
NFi
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2000

Lurking
Default looking for some advice in getting an amiga 500

Hey all

Im currently researching into getting my favorite old system the amiga 500. Im just wondering if anyone here knows of anywhere that I can look besides ebay to get one? And roughly how much should I be looking at spending on one?

Ive been looking on ebay but theres not much there anymore in Australia :/

Guild Wars 2 - Psicosys
NFi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th August 2014, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 656 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Psychedelic

Amiga`s are awesome, my first advice would be, go for a Amiga 1200

Had one, still ticked off that i sold it to fund my first PC.
m0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
NFi
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2000

Lurking

Thanks mate ill look into the 1200. Yeah im the same way... always been annoyed that my dad sold the amiga back then cause he upgraded... it was in top nick and he basically gave it away

Guild Wars 2 - Psicosys
NFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 451

I occasionally kept an eye out over the years, but rarely see her around these days.
My Ami still goes (well last time I tried). Kept my Bro's non working one as well for spares. Would have thought easier to get a 500 as many more were sold into households.
Maybe gumtree or the like, or put up some requests on computer boards. Others might still have one sitting out in the garage like me.
Might be lucky at some markets, but I used to regularly go to all the Canberra markets over the years, but rarely saw one.
@Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1607

Amused

I also keep an eye out for the ol'girls. I still have the external FDD somewhere. I went and paid for Amiga Forever - much easier than using the hardware. No more endless swapping of floppies, HDD's (something i could never afford) and your choice of systems and workbench.

My Amiga led to some good friendships in high school, including DJ Debris from Hilltop Hoods - i still remember it: Some little dude in year 9 came up to me in the corridor and said "I heard you got an amiga"
"yeah" "cool, we should swap some games". I think we were the only two in high school with amigas.

Vintage Computers and Mainframes | eBay

Last edited by hadrian6616; 28th August 2014 at 08:40 PM.
hadrian6616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrian6616 View Post
DJ Debris from Hilltop Hoods - i still remember it: Some little dude in year 9 came up to me in the corridor and said "I heard you got an amiga" "yeah" "cool, we should swap some games". I think we were the only two in high school with amigas.
Holy sh!t. That's some name dropping. Since my youngest son moved up last year that's all I've been listening too (+ BnE). We were just talking about them tonight. He tells me they are playing the night after his last HSC exam. His best mate has an exam the next day. He is telling him he's goin without him (though I know will catch them somewhere else).

Would be cool to know if he used much of the music stuff on Ami, as compared to a PC there were some great programs for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrian6616 View Post
I went and paid for Amiga Forever - much easier than using the hardware. No more endless swapping of floppies, HDD's (something i could never afford) and your choice of systems and workbench.
Which version did you get. I have been meaning to archive my disks for so many years.
@Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1607

Amused

Quote:
Which version did you get. I have been meaning to archive my disks for so many years.
Amiga Forever - Amiga Emulation, Games, History and Support Since 1997

I got the Plus version, with all the workbenches, 100+ games etc.
Old 29th August 2014, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 656 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Psychedelic

Ive given Amiga emulators a try over the years.

But never did i get to a point where enjoyment surpassed frustration.. still have WINUAE installed, but havent touched it in ages.
m0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote