Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th December 2007, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 60

Amused
Default Civ 4.slow.Is it just my computer?

Hi

I'm running XP..athlon2800+...Nvidia 6800XT...1.25GB of ram..The thing that bugs me is even playing a quick game on a small map when i scroll manually it gets slowerand slower the more of the map is exposed..auto stays quick....

Heck I figure maybe when I get a better computer or is this normal?
Definitely not as smooth either.
Tom
ttomm61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th December 2007, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1840 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

I had a similar problem when running on a similar rig as yours. Last time I played though with a dual core 3800 and 7600gt and 2gb ram, no issues at all.
Tulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

First thing I'll say, is make sure it's patched! I installed it on my girlfriends computer and although it started, it was unplayable. Patched it, and it ran fine! Sure it was slow, but it made SUCH a difference.

On my old system it used to slow down as the games wore on, but yep, the patching really, really helped that. Now, it doesn't matter how big, or how long the game is, it's still speedy.

That said, Civ4 is a beast of a game. Make sure your graphics are set accordingly, with things such as "no effects" "single unit graphics" "no unit animation" etc... all tagged. Things like "show enemy movements" may also slow things down too, but I think that's merely a preference.

After all of that, if it's still too slow, I dare say your system might simply be not up to the task. On paper it looks like it should handle it, but you never know. Give those other things a good go (kill the resolution if needed too!) and see how it pans out. Last thing may be a format and clean OS install. I know my puter gets so bogged down with old crap it really needs a fresh start every year or so.

Best of luck.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3762

I run it on XP, with a Sempron 2800+ with 1 gig of ddr. The only real difference is the video card (x700 Pro). It runs fine on huge maps, all settings up, with 12-14 players, though it slows down on turn progressions after 1850 or so.

Winamp always runs eternally in the back ground.

I would check to see which background processes you have running (and the stuff in the system tray). That stuff can eat away at your resources like a St Bernard puppy at the food bowl.

Also, what speed of hard drive are you using? That could affect the swap file useage (as Civ can use more then 1.25gigs of memory on larger maps). How ever, on smaller maps it wont use even near that much.

You may want to run a google on which Xp services to disable (there are quite a few of them you dont need), which can speed up your comp, as well as disabling stuff in the background via ms config.

"that wasn't lag, that was the Matrix changing " -Me
Deadfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 60

Amused

Thanks guys..I'll try your suggestions

Tom
ttomm61 is offline   Reply With Quote