First, sorry for the novel, but this thread came up when I googled "weird graphic issue with Oblivion" & figured a detailed log might help anyone else if I can fix this.
Very interesting, Isthiriel. I agree something is being called improperly and then getting mapped as the terrain. I've thought about trying to isolate the problem texture/map/etc., but don't have a clue of where to start and there's way too much data in the \textures and \meshes folders. I appreciate the info nonetheless.
Here's a couple of daytime shots for the hell of it.
I reinstalled Qarl TP3, Qarls patch 1.3, unofficial mods patch 1.1, unofficial Oblivion patch 2.2, then Qarls/Unofficial Oblivion compatibility patch. The readme for the compatibility patch states "Qarl's Texture Pack 3 incorporated the mesh corrections made in the Unofficial Oblivion Patch 2.0 wherever QTP3 needed to change parallax settings, but this compatibility between the two mods was lost with the release of UOP 2.1.This small patch fixes that problem. All conflicting meshes from UOP 2.1 have been altered to support the parallax mode settings used in QTP3, and QTP3 normal maps have been restored wherever they were overwritten by UOP normal map corrections (with one notable exception being the vanilla arena textures that were mistakenly included in QTP3 -- in this one case I have preserved the UOP normal map changes). Install this patch after installing QTP3, the QTP3 patches, and UOP 2.1." Not sure if this is needed for the 2.2 patch as I couldn't find info expliciting stating that.
Something must still be going wrong cause the problem remains. I even deactivated all mods including official Bethesda ones and the problem persists. Also set the video options to default and only found out only one thing with that...I forgot how horrible 640x480 looks.
Actually, setting the video options to default no longer caused Oblivion to generate the generic XP program crash error when I quit the game. Choice!
My ArchiveInvalidation.txt file only has this:
Some info I found with the unofficial patch says entries for meshes or textures that don't exist can cause crashes or make textures go purple (disappearing). I have a file called ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa that supposedly allows you to totally eliminate the need for ArchiveInvalidation.txt. Taking that out of the mix and re-running the Oblivion Mod Manager BSA setting utility didn't change anything. The BSA settings match the screenshot that comes with TP3. I also ran the BSA uncorruptor within OBMM; no difference.
I think I'm going to uninstall/reinstall Oblivion and take a methodical approach to try reproducing this. Also debating going back to XP 32-bit since other apps I use don't like 64-bit. iTunes....but I digress.
I'll update what I find regardless.