Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st February 2008, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default Oblivion Restarts. How high should the limit be...

First game:
I played Oblivion for about 200 game hours.
Second game:
I played for another 56 hours.
third game:
I played for about 75 hours.
Forth game:
I played for about 84 hours.

and all this added up.
well over 415 hours.

And now I am tempted to restart yet again. Am I insane or am I just a real hardcore Oblivion fan?
I restart with my Character being my favourite a Khajiit. And I have created custom class after custom class, but I find that leveling up tends to get a bit pestering at times seeing with only being able to level up 7 Main attributes that tends to lead to only getting to level 39 or 40 for me,.

So should I restart yet again and try to get my main attributes to be things that I don't us at all? please help./
LiNan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st February 2008, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
World of Warcraft
Elite - Post: 2601

Mellow

Hello LiNan,

I think you might want to give this a read. What you are angling towards is maximising your leveling ability. In order to do that you must pick skills you won'two t be using all the time as your Majors. Or only pick one or two skills you will be using ie. for a stealth based character you might pick Marksman and Sneak (as they are both Agility based you will get a good trade off) and marry these with skills you might like to use occassionally and give you a fair spread of Attributes ie. Blade (Strength), Heavy Armour (Endurance), Conjuration (Intelligence), Illusion (Personality) and Light Armour (Speed).
You will probably use LA but as you will be sneaking all the time and using long range shots you can avoid levelling up in LA.

It can be very hard concentrating in levelling up in a particular skill and playing the game "normally". You may need to get lots of loot and pick some mods that remove the training restrictions. and spend a lot of time practicing!

There is another article around somewhere that goes into maximising levelling in great detail. Will see if I can find it for you.

Oblivion:Character Creation - UESPWiki
Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Perhaps try a levelling mod? Some of them don't even have levels as such. It's much more natural, and happens on the fly. Also mods to speed up or slow down levelling if you prefer.

I got about 100 hours for my first play through, then about the same on my second. Still going happily on my third play through, at about 120 hours now, haven't even touched the main quest yet!! plenty of mods though. OOO is brilliant!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 687

Hey LiNan,
Take a look at these mods. I think they may help cater to what you are looking for. While I'm not using all of these now, I found them to be very well done when I did. (I'm using Diverse Races, Level Rates Modified x3 included with OOO 1.3.1, thinking about using AF Level Mod). All of them should be available from The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community . It's has a TON of mods to download...

Let me know if you can't find any of these and I can email some to you. OOO for instance is a monster at 423MB, but should be pretty easy to find on the web.

Newer versions may be available, though these are the ones I have downloaded. Oh yea, any of them should compliment other mods such as OOO, Mart's Monster Mod, & Francesco's Leveled Creatures nicely.

Brief intro from mods readme file:

Diverse Races v2.0 -
It has long been the Elder Scrolls way that every race could reach the score of 100 in every attribute. While this is nice, it rather made choosing the race boring and mostly cosmetic. Worse yet, it destroyed any potential a race is said to have according to the lore; a fully developed Orc would be no stronger than a fully developed Altmer, and a fully developed Imperial would be no more charming or intelligent than an equal Khajiit.

This mod changes things a bit. Now, depending on your race, you'll be able to take at least two of your attributes above 100. Of course, nothing comes without a price - some of your attributes will be capped below 100.

Kobus Character Advancement System (ver 2.4.1) -
Kobu’s Character Advancement System (KCAS) replaces the standard Attribute gain at Level-up with an intuitive and natural Attribute and Level gain system that is fully customizable. KCAS makes it so you will never again have to track your Skill gains or engage in metagame tactics to insure optimal character progression. KCAS is designed to be fully immersive and integrate seamlessly with your gameplay. You can use KCAS with both new and existing characters.

SD Skill Diary (ver 1.3) -
The skill diary is intended as a useful tool to allow players to track how much each of their skills has leveled up since the last time they gained a level. From this information it is possible to determine better which skills to focus on in order to get the desired attribute multipliers for each level.

AF Level Mod (v 2.8.7) -
The intention of this mod is to fix the annoying parts about Oblivion's Player
leveling system and keep intact as much as possible in the spirit of the
original game. To create a mod where you can play it and have fun and not
worry about micromanaging X5 Multipliers, and be able to level up a character and not "GIMP" him by not training the right skills at the right times

Level Rates Modified x2 - x5 v1.3.1 (4 separate files included in OOO 1.3.1)
Most skills Most skills level twice as slow, 3x, 4x, or 5x as slow as vanilla oblivion.

I keep thinking there is another mod besides Kobus CAS which you level up based on all skills and not just majors. If I come across it, I'll post the info.

Hope this helps.

Old 12th February 2008, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default the search lists nothing. :(

Hi.

the Diverse Races v2.0 is not available for the name search, so could you please e-mail it to me.
any needy Oblivion mods can be e-mailed there aswell.
thanks.

garethmostert@yahoo.com
Old 12th February 2008, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

Diverse Races at The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Got it thanks.
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 21

What is Oblivion? what kind of game?
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1677

Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle View Post

It's the latest game in the Elder Scrolls series. One of the best series of games ever made in my opinion.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle View Post
For the best answer, have a look and read here. It's a great game review written by Father himself. Sums it up perfectly I think.

What is it? A Role Playing Game, single player, open ended, vast, played from a first person perspective. Awesomeness.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote