Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th March 2008, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 3869

Devilish
Default WorldShift Open Beta

Worldshift on FilePlanet

Quote:
Come check out this sci-fi, next-gen RTS in FilePlanet's exclusive beta test. You'll get to work with the development team to fine-tune balance and gameplay, and contribute to polishing the title as it gets ready for release.

WorldShift introduces many new features to the RTS genre, like modifiable factions, unqiue cooperative multiplayer gameplay, and more. Signup and get one of our limited first-come first-served beta keys and check it out today!
I installed this last night and played the first few Single Player campaigns and 1 Deathmatch. I must admit I was suitably impressed. It has some tweaking that needs to be done in the interface department, but overall its not too bad.
Wiz_74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th March 2008, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4510

Sounds good. I have signed up and will give it a go.

Marvel Heroes - TOGBlackIce
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 03:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor

Devilish

If you are running Vista Blackice then make sure you run this game as Administrator (right click go to properties and set to run as administrator) or the auto update doesnt seem to work.
Old 16th March 2008, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, I noticed that problem when it tried to download the patch for the 3rd time without applying it.
I do now have it installed and patched, however it is complaining I am missing a file when I try and launch any game, and will then crash.
I do remember having a error show up during the extraction of the zip file, but I told it to retry and it continued on. Not sure if that is the cause or not.

Old 16th March 2008, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 4034

Twisted

on their Beta forums the game studio has a link to the downloadable .exe file so you can manually patch it. I did and it worked perfectly

Usual ingame names: Bloodwrych, Bloodwych, Blooodwrych, Blooodwych, Blodwrych, Blodwych
Bloodwrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor

Devilish

One thing I have noticed is that the net code for co-op missions seriously sucks. Deathmatch doesnt appear to be too bad, unless I have just been lucky enough to get someone close each time. However I play a co-op mission the other day with some guys from teh states and every second it would pause for 2 to sync. Absolutely unplayable but we kept going, anyway after killing the first boss (which if it wasnt lagging horribly, should have been probably about 5 minutes play, but at this rate was about 20 mins later) it dropped the other two completely and left me alone on the server. I found the next boss but there was no way i was gonna take him alone.

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences?
Old 25th March 2008, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor

I have come back to give this a second go. Patching as an admin was working before, but every time I tried to launch a game it would complain I was missing a file. The files varied depending on the game type I launched (I think). The message only stayed on the screen for a fraction of a second.
I have uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, downloaded all the direct patches and updated it again.
This time it will work. I just completed my first campaign game, but that is all the time I have tonight.
So far it looks the same as any other RTS, but now that it is working I will be able to have a closer look and see how it goes.

Old 26th March 2008, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor

Devilish

Yeah I think as far as SP goes the only real difference is the upgrade system. However where it really starts to get a little unique is the co-op mode. Check it out and let me know what you think. To be honest I dont tend to find myself playing it much anymore and I dont think it is something I would buy, but it is interesting all teh same.