Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th May 2008, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 11

Amazed
Smile Wizardry 8 - any similar modern games?

Hi, Newbie here,

Very sorry if this has been discussed before (can't see the search option anywhere).

Years ago my bro and I played Wizardry 7 and then 8.

Does anyone know of a similar modern game?

By that I mean a game where you gain XP and build up your team from the start. Have played Baldur's Gate and Silverfall, but would love a game where I can choose my team from the start, and not point-and-click fighting.

Many thanks, Aleyd

Old 12th May 2008, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 135

Dead

Might and Magic carried on the same format as Wizardry. Although, that too has past our of current play. Neverwinter Nights lets you build up parties of characters. Guild Wars also has "heroes" you can customize in your party... (Guild Wars: Nightfall expansion only).
Masada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Amazed

Thanks for the info.
Old 13th May 2008, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 14

thanks..probably would tried that
kaskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

So you're looking for a party RPG where you get to choose the party at the start of the game? Wasn't Icewind Dale/Heart of Winter/2 like that?

Also, IIRC, if you play Baldur's Gate/2 as a multiplayer game (host a listen server and then have no one else join it) you can start the game with a full party of six characters that you create and you can ignore the NPCs that want to join you.

Spiderweb Software made the Exile rpgs and remade them into the Avernum series and it looks like they are making a new series called Geneforge. I played some of the Exile games and you started them with a party of your own choosing. I would expect the other spiderweb titles to be similar (and they all have demo versions).

I haven't played either Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil or Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor but I believe you get to roll up the starting party in both of those titles.

As far as 'point-and-click fighting' goes, are you objecting to the mouse controls (since Wiz7/8 can both be played purely with the keyboard) or the lack of the "What should this character do in this round?" menu?

BG/2 actually has more tactical options than Wiz7/8 did but they tried to cut out the micromanagement of telling every single character to attack every round. Instead the characters will keep trying the same action on the same target until they no longer can. And though BG/2 seem to have real-time combat it is actually turn-based and there are options in the menu to turn on pause-at-end-of-round and pause-when-character-is-idle so you can give new instructions to your characters without feeling rushed.

If you aren't so worried about 'modern' games, in the lead up to the release of Destination Dominus I think SirTech also released Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge for free (I got a copy on the front cover of a gaming magazine around that time) it is very similar to Wiz7 and if you have hardware that will run Wiz7 (and I mean Wiz7 not Wiz7:Gold ie. a DOS 486) you should still be able to play that. There's also the SSI Gold Box Games that are even older (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness).
Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Average - Post: 179

Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil is the game you are looking for but its full bugs! they haven't fix the bugs in this game. But you can create your party here at the start. It's like Baldur's Gate but you can start with 5 persons already.
jayMPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayMPH View Post
Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil is the game you are looking for but its full bugs! they haven't fix the bugs in this game. But you can create your party here at the start. It's like Baldur's Gate but you can start with 5 persons already.
Troika ... had some great ideas. But they were fundamentally a three-man company so every title they released was late, incomplete and buggy. It is what killed the company in the end.

They also made Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura which are both great, if slow and buggy, games. VtMB is (solo) first-person based on the White Wolf PnP RPG and Arcanum is kind of like BG, except the story is about the conflict between magic and steampunk. (And character development is less good/evil and more magic/tech.)
Old 20th May 2008, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Amazed

Many thanks to everyone who has replied.

With regards to my aversion to point&click, I will play games with that aspect, but was interested to see what else was out there. I did enjoy Wizardry's attacking style where you chose what each character would do each round, and then the fight just took place, with no frantic mouse clicking.

Once again, all of your input is much appreciated.

Aleyd
Old 20th May 2008, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, like I said, Bioware's RPGs: BG/2, IWD/2, P:T, KOTOR/2, NWN all have options (for the single player only in NWN's case) that cause the action to pause in a manner very similar to Wizardry's combat menu.

You won't get a specific "What should this character do?" menu. You will get a "Isthiriel has nothing to do. PAUSED." message and you can then give your character(s) new actions, tap space to unpause and watch them play out. (Or "End of Round. PAUSED." depending on how you set the options.)

I started out in BG like that because I found the 6 second round timer too short when I was tracking what my 6 characters + 2x summons + 10-20 enemies were all trying to do. After a while though I learnt to use the space bar myself (every 3 to 20 seconds ... targetting spells on running characters is hard when the game is running) when I thought characters were idle and found that to be a smoother/more enjoyable experience than the forced pauses. YMMV.
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Average - Post: 135

Dead

If you were properly motivated... could probably find hacked versions of the Might & Magic series... there were about 9 of them all closely following Wizardry's format. There was even one version (at least) for the Sega Genesis. You could probably find a Genesis emulator and the M&M ROM floating around somewhere to recreate your all keyboard Wizardy experience again...
Masada is offline   Reply With Quote