Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th May 2008, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 390

Default Calling all old Car Wars fans

Anyone ever play Car Wars tabletop game or fancied the idea of driving around in a vehicle armed to the teeth with weapons and blowing the hell out of your opponents?
Well can I point you in the direction of Darkwind
DARKWIND - 3D turn-based racing & vehicle combat driving game - Windows Mac
It's a MMO turn based game set in the near future aka Mad Max but based a lot on Car Wars.
You can play for free but won't have access to the full game such as markets and training for your characters, but the subbies are very reasonable IMHO.
It's partly web based so you can work on your cars, gang etc in your lunch hour at work lol but you do need to download a client to play the actual combats etc - it's not all combat, some are just pure races.
The physics are very well thought out and functional.

I've been playing for a little while and because I used to be a big fan of CW back in the 80's I quickly took to this and have to say I really enjoy it.

So drive on by and say hi

In game name: Valkazon
Squad name: Turbocharged Onto Glory

Old 15th May 2008, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 536

Amused

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely used to play Car Wars and the couple of off shoots like Boat Wars. Was massive fun. Greeny your way.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

I love just about anything Steve Jackson has put out. Car Wars and Melee/Wizard (eventually turned into GURPS after a couple of iterations) are some of my favorite games. I actually got to play Ogre (the miniatures version) with Steve Jackson at Origins in 2003 I think it was. He is a alot of fun and one tough competitor too. Will check out that link and see what it is all about.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 05:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
I love just about anything Steve Jackson has put out. Car Wars and Melee/Wizard (eventually turned into GURPS after a couple of iterations) are some of my favorite games. I actually got to play Ogre (the miniatures version) with Steve Jackson at Origins in 2003 I think it was. He is a alot of fun and one tough competitor too. Will check out that link and see what it is all about.
Wow now that is impressive. Hope you gave him a run for his money as it where.
Yeah - I too really enjoyed SJ games, and Darkwind is a fine tribute to Car Wars. Considering it's an indie title I think they have done a great job so far and I look forward to see how it develops.
It may seem odd to play at first, but once you get going you'll soon be hooked - especially as it doesn't mean you are tied to your computer for long periods of time, you can sign in, register for a race or whatever and come back to it when it's due to start as it's all based in real time eg if one of your gang gets injured, it tells you exactly how long and by what date (real time) when he/she will be back to 100% assuming you use hospital facilities and don't get them further injured in the meantime etc.

Hope you both (Owen and Brohawk) enjoy it.