Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3289

Cheerful
Default Mass Effect PC - Score (9/10)

I just finished Mass Effect for the PC. Until recently my favorite single-player game of all time was Half-Life 1, that was until this weekend. MEPC is now my all-time favorite pc game. The pacing, story, squad management, armor/weapons = it all added up to an incredible experience.

I loved the game so much that I am actually going thru it again on a harder difficulty setting while keeping my level 36 Soldier. I missed a lot of missions so I figure I can go back and complete them this time. Also, BioWare will be releasing the new download content (Bring Down the Sky), for free, to pc users so I'll have that to play as well.

I highly recommend it - it was the best $39.99, I ever spent on a pc game. I withheld a perfect score because I did have some minor tech issues, but nothing that got in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Kudos BioWare.

ArcheAge:Nekusar:Primeval
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd June 2008, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Average - Post: 179

Is this really a great game? haven't got a copy yet but I'm planning to buy though. I read some reviews that this game is excellent. Well I better grab one and find out for my self.
jayMPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2175

Tired

where did you buy it? I am hanging out for a steam version (sans the bad securom version too hopefully).

They certainly seemed to make an effort to tart up the pc version - it includes some of the extra content the consoles saw sometime after release, correct?

Regards, Gaping_MAW aka Scoobs

Gaping_MAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cheerful

I'm a big fan of BioWare, one of my favorite games of all time is Neverwinter Nights. BioWare games feel like you're playing a novel, they do such a good job of hashing out characters while providing a deep and rich story and background.

I watched my son play the 360 version and I was able to watch most of the game, which intrigued me but playing the game myself was a totally different experience.

The PC version is head and shoulders above the 360 version, you have better control (mouse and keyboard), better UI, better squad management, higher resolution and upgraded textures. Also, the PC version allows you the use of hotkeys, which from what I remember you don't have in the 360 version. In the screenshot below you can see in the upper left corner I have several abilities hotkeyed:

The average score on Metacritic for MEPC is 93% -

Mass Effect (pc: 200: Reviews

I got my copy from EB Games, I believe you can also buy it from the EA Store. They changed the original DRM Securom decision, validating every 5-10 days, to requiring that you go online and validate the copy once. They're still restricting the number of allowable installs to 3. But most think that this will be lifted after the initial sales subside.

Old 4th June 2008, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1742

Sleepy

I hope they do lift the restriction on installs, I really want to buy this one but I'm not touching it until they do, I just don't trust EA to still have the validation system running in the future.

Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog69 View Post
I hope they do lift the restriction on installs, I really want to buy this one but I'm not touching it until they do, I just don't trust EA to still have the validation system running in the future.
I can certainly understand, I HATE EA, but I love Bioware more. I almost canceled my pre-order on several occasions.

Old 4th June 2008, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2175

Tired

which is why I want a steam version.. they generally remove the original protection method and stick in the steam one (which is fine by me).. plus it's all digital content then, and usually cheaper than buying a boxed copy here in Oz.

edit: I did a bit of digging and the morons are not planning a steam release (they have a d2d version though!! I mean, wtf?!).. see this thread for details:

Mass Effect Community - Steam and ME?

Oh well, I won't be buying this game now.. well unless gamersgate get the chance to distribute it (which isn't likely).

Regards, Gaping_MAW aka Scoobs

Last edited by Gaping_MAW; 4th June 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Gaping_MAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4510

I remember following the news on this game and getting very interested in it. Then found out it was console only was very disapointing. Now that it is out on PC I better have a look at it.
I really don't agree with any 3 install restrictions, that could change my mind about getting it.
I can account for two installs off the bat, since I dual boot OS's on my main computer. A lot of games just don't work to the standard expected on vista, but I will still try it on that first (since it is my normal OS). I point the XP install to exactly the same directory for both OS's. You still need to run the installer to get all the registry settings etc. I also reimage often. 3 installs? no way. That is unaceptable.

Marvel Heroes - TOGBlackIce
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 04:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

The worst complaint about it that I've seen is that it's dialogue heavy for a console game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog69 View Post
I'm still waiting for Bioshock to get a no-securom patch (10 months on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
I can account for two installs off the bat, since I dual boot OS's on my main computer. A lot of games just don't work to the standard expected on vista, but I will still try it on that first (since it is my normal OS). I point the XP install to exactly the same directory for both OS's. You still need to run the installer to get all the registry settings etc. I also reimage often.
It's supposed to use a machine fingerprint to identify different installs, we don't know if that includes your OS product key. If it doesn't then one box = one licence.

OTOH, if you (1) installed it under XP, (2) imaged the drive or dumped the registry or did a system restore point or used a tool to record the registry changes then (3) uninstalled (bringing your total licences consumed back to 0), (4) swapped to Vista, (5) reinstalled it (6) swapped back to XP and (7) reverted the registry changes the uninstall made. (Alternately if you have the registry deltas you can skip (3) and replace (5) - (7) with an import of the deltas under Vista?)

The only way that wouldn't work is if it was handed a token when it phoned home, and you might be able to circumvent that if you exported the key in Vista and reimported it in XP.

OTGH that's a lot of work for very little gain ...and the industry wonders why piracy is on the rise I know my DVD drive is getting a bit old so sometimes it takes a few tries for Securom disks to be recognized properly

(PS. I should also add that Bioware can hand out extra licences if you run out and contact their support department.)

(PPS. Zero Punctuation Reviews Mass Effect for the XBox360. Umm, NSFW. Also the PC version is supposed to have the menu/controls issues fixed, as Trimethicon mentioned.)
Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 578

Buzzed

for a new space type rpg this game rocks im loving the pc version and the new content u can download is a nice change the game is so like KOTOR and kotor was one of my favs

if your worryed about a security check every 5-10 day get used to it security is on the rise and will never go down

ps im a security guard for the last 11 years im alwas needed for extra shifts

i read the responces after i get home from work called in early :P
cowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote