Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st July 2008, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1133

Default oblivion online (multiplayer oblivion)

i was looking at the internets today checking for something not oblivion related when i stumbled across a couple of projects over the last few years that tried to get a co-op mod working for oblivion.

the one that got me most interested was the oblivion online version.

planet elder scrolls had some documentation on how to get it running.

Oblivion Online Documentation - Planet Elder Scrolls

and the planet elderscrolls site also has the oblivion script extender that i think you need.

this site had the latest files for running the mod and server.
SourceForge.net: OblivionOnline

i haven't had time to check it out. but i hear mixed reports from such mods with the bugs and such.

anyone seen or tested this out? it would be nice to hear some experiences that people have had with this if they have managed to get it working.

-roob
roob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd July 2008, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 289

Funny you should mention that. I wrote Morrowind Online this article a few years ago about a now-defunct mod to make Morrowind a co-op game. I'll have to have a look at Oblivion multiplayer when I get a chance.

Rakshala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

I've seen some youtube vids of online/co-op testing, and although it was working, it looked like someone had hacked the code beyond it's realistic capabilities. Sad that it's not a native option, but sometimes if the code just aint there, it's not meant to be.

Personally I'd LOVE to see "Oblivion" as a co-op game, but unless it was done really well, I just can't see it working. Sad but true.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 3

Talking Wouldn't that be loverly!

I don't know anything about code-writing and such, but it just makes sense that if co-op MP wasn't put in to begin with, it would be extremely difficult to add, in any satisfying way.
From a forum about Oblivion, I heard about Hellgate-London, and for a couple of months now, my wife & I have enjoyed playing that game, as a co-op team. It took us a while to sort out things like the Microsoft headsets, (with the gushey David Clark replacement ear-pads), and the Xfire in-game voice-chat, but, all things considered, Flagship Studios did a great job providing entertainment for an elderly couple. It is too bad that Bethesda didn't/wouldn't/couldn't, make that happen. Maybe next time.
Meanwhile, we're always on the lookout for games that fill the bill.
(Where else can seventy-something pairs of vanquishers-of-evil-demons do their work, as if they were still twenty-somethings)?
Lancer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Lethal - Post: 6458

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
I've seen some youtube vids of online/co-op testing, and although it was working, it looked like someone had hacked the code beyond it's realistic capabilities. Sad that it's not a native option, but sometimes if the code just aint there, it's not meant to be.

Personally I'd LOVE to see "Oblivion" as a co-op game, but unless it was done really well, I just can't see it working. Sad but true.
I pretty much agree with this. I've never seen a mod that adds coop to a game that works well.

Sir Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote