Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th October 2008, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1742

Sleepy
Default Deus Ex 3.

The first details are starting to appear for Deus Ex 3, PC Zone magazine has an article in the latest issue which you can see over on the Eidos forums here - PC Zone release possible DX3 details - Page 2 - Eidos Forums and there are some details over at C&VG here - News: Deus Ex 3: First details - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

I'm a huge fan of the first game and I absolutely hated the second so when I heard that 3 was in production I was a bit reluctant to build up my expectations but this makes me feel hopeful that we are actually getting a worthy sequel to Deus Ex this time (even if it is a prequel)-
Quote:
Eidos Montreal says it's more than aware of fan reaction to controversial second game, Invisible War, and promises mistakes, such as limiting ammo types to just one, won't be repeated.
It's worth reading through a few pages in the Eidos forum link too, one of the Eidos guys straightens out a few misconceptions that have already built up around the game.

Last edited by Rog69; 5th October 2008 at 08:46 AM.
Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th October 2008, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Excellent!

Always loved the whole concept of DX, but at the time I just didn't have a computer that was capable of playing it. I tried and played through the demo several times, but it really was bordering on unmanagable. Loved the whole blend of Shooter with RPG. The multiple options open really set the benchmark, and I'm yet to be convinced there's been a direct competitor to that crown, with perhaps the one challenger of Oblivion.

Either way, I'm really happy to hear this is in development. It's been long enough now that "lessons" would have been learned, but also long enough to have the technology move enough to make it a really new game/potential. Bring it on
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

I was one of the few that actually liked the 2nd one. I knew it wasn't going to live up to the first and thus didn't expect much from it but on it's own it's still better than most other shooters around. Only when compared to the first game does it fall apart.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5343

Breezy

Quote:
Only the PC version has been announced so far. The magazine coverage we had last year were all PC: Joystick (France), PC Zone (UK), Gamestar (Germany), PC Guru (Holland), PC Powerplay (Australia), Total PC Gaming, etc. I dunno where that website is getting its info from!
Interesting to say the least, still no announcement on consoles.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 708

I'm with you Rog69, I loved the first and didn't like the second installment. Just hope the 3rd game is similar in gameplay to the first.
Old 28th November 2009, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1571

Amused

Never played the first, but i liked IW. I'll keep my eye on this one.
Old 29th November 2009, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1742

Sleepy

I hope that because only the PC version has been announced so far it means that the PC is the lead platform for Deus Ex 3, it was partly the limitations of the original Xbox that made IW such a bad game with it's tiny maps and horrible interface. I think the word "consolitis" actually came into being on the back of IW.

I bought IW after a glowing review in UK PC gamer, I used to trust their reviews and I actually stopped buying the magazine after that. I only managed to play IW up to the Egypt level, I had been slowly getting more an more frustrated with it, I hated the dumb unified ammo and the rubbish plot (you want me to go and smash up a coffee shop, wow that sounds great) but I finally quit after walking past an NPC in the street, it decided to walk into a burning brazier and set itself on fire and die. The game then decided that I had killed him

Last edited by Rog69; 29th November 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Can almost guarantee that this'll be cross-platform, and doubt that that will ever mean PC leads the way. They'll always build according to the lowest common denominator - and that's console controls and menu systems.

However - Deus Ex traditionally isn't as much of a twitch type shooter like MW2 is. Games like this dont seem to suffer as badly as the twitch type, as they tend to be a good bit slower, and more thought out. Games like Fallout 3 are probably as close to identiacal across all platforms as any - and equally as playable.

Multi-platform titles still have one ace up their sleeves (so long as the developers allow it) and that's modding. One of the most important mods made to Fallout 3 (and one of the first!) was to improve the user interface to be more suitable for PC monitors and resolutions. Allow this to happen (or better yet - do it in-house!) and it can be perfectly fine.

Either way - we wont know until we get closer to some sort of release date. Until then - my hopes will remain sky high!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

As more developers face the problem of tooling out games for different control schemes they get better at it (Dead space aside...). Deus Ex IW was one of the first multi-platform games developed and it shows, but developers have gotten better at making multi-platform titles, lets hope this overall improvement is also reflected in Deus Ex 3.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote