Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th October 2008, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

Default Syndicate remake??

Spotted this on Big Download:

Quote:
Shhhhh..want to hear something that's supposed to be a secret? Computer and Video Games claims they have one to tell. In one of their typical "stories from unnamed sources" they are saying that that Electronic Arts is planning to revive one of the classic franchises; the cyberpunk themed tactical strategy series Syndicate.

Computer and Video Games claims that the developer in charge of this new revival of the 1993 PC title is Starbreeze (of Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness fame) but offers no other details (the original Syndicate was developed by the now defunct Bullfrog). We are a little skeptical, quite frankly, simply because CVG said that Blizzard was definately announcing a Starcraft MMO last year when in fact it was Starcraft II. However, it's a Sunday so set your filters to "speculation" now....
LOVED the original Syndicate game - just brilliant for it's day. Not sure how a modern interpretation could work, but I'll just have to wait and see - Bring it!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st October 2008, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 4021

Twisted

Aye syndicate kept me up for way too many nights. Was lots of fun. Time will tell how they handle a remake of it though.

Usual ingame names: Bloodwrych, Bloodwych, Blooodwrych, Blooodwych, Blodwrych, Blodwych
Bloodwrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

Oh wow. Syndicate and Space Hulk (imagine that in coop!) were two of those games that I kept hoping they would remake. This is great news! (I hope)
Old 21st October 2008, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611

Breezy

I thought they had already made a remake of Syndicate.

Wasn't it called Syndicate wars?
Old 21st October 2008, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Yeah, but it wasn't really the same. They went for a 3d approach, and to be honest, I just don't think the technology was up for it at the time. They also went for the dark "future noir" feel, which is cool, but not really Syndicate. I bought it way back when, but never liked it - hell, I've played the original only a few years back it's still that good
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre8 View Post
Yeah, but it wasn't really the same. They went for a 3d approach, and to be honest, I just don't think the technology was up for it at the time. They also went for the dark "future noir" feel, which is cool, but not really Syndicate. I bought it way back when, but never liked it - hell, I've played the original only a few years back it's still that good
Yeah I know exactly where you are coming from.

There is something about those old games, you know the ones with the sh#tty graphics. You can just play them for hours. They have good depth. I still put on the old Jagged Alliance games all the time. Yeah they have bad graphics, are turned based, terrible sound but I love em.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Yeah, Syndicate was awesome, sadly Syndicate Wars rushed to join the 3D era and it missed the mark. Now would be a good time to try again.

Still waiting for a remake/sequel to my all-time favourite game though - Tie Fighter.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Oh HELL YEAH!!!

Best Star Wars game I've ever played, and best space "flight" game/sim I've ever played - simple, but great story, especially for a title that generally doesn't need one. Love it!