Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th December 2008, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw
Default Grand Theft Auto 4 on PC, not a happy couple... :(

Link to my post in the TOG steam sub forum:

Be wary of buying GTA4 for the PC

Not going to type this twice so I'll just link it, but thought it was important and not everyone makes it down to the steam forum.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th December 2008, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11120

It certainly sounds like there are some very legit concerns once you can filter through all the profanity and abuse being hauled.

There does seem to be an acknowledgement from R* as well that there are issues which are being worked on.

Bad performance is one thing which I tend to accept as things push the envelope but my main gripe would be the lack of AA which is unacceptable especially on a PC.

I'm surprised that the reviews so far have despite a brief mention that you need a powerful rig haven't really made much noise about the issues in general.

I enjoyed this one on 360 and the main reason for me to replay it on PC is to do so with high graphical fidelity, sounds like I will have to set myself up for some disappointment but I just have to find this out for myself.

I'll let you know how I go with my boxed version coming from Games Warehouse today.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
JJ
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2327

i picked mine up from Dungeon Crawl yesterday. see the above thread for my experience in installing it.
Old 4th December 2008, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
I enjoyed this one on 360 and the main reason for me to replay it on PC is to do so with high graphical fidelity, sounds like I will have to set myself up for some disappointment but I just have to find this out for myself.
I got it on the PC for the exact same reason. I played it on the PS3 and loved it, but I thought the overall framerate and resolution/lack of AA distracted from it a bit. GTA4 on medium to low at 1280x800 and without AA runs worse than Crysis on Very High at 1920x1200 with 2XAA on my rig. I very much hope it's something that can be fixed in a patchthough, if there's any game that deserves a good and proper port for PC gaming it's this one.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12264

Looks like I'll be holding off on this one for a while. Shame - really had been looking forward to it big time.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead

Yeehaw

Have you had a chance to play it yet Father, I'm curious to hear what you think?
Old 14th December 2008, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11120

Just did in the other thread, cheers

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...gta4-pc-4.html
Father is offline   Reply With Quote