Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th January 2009, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

Default Mount & Blade - is it any good?

This weekend there's another one of those Steam weekend deals, you can save 75% if you buy Mount & Blade.
I'm a bit torn... Has anyone played this game before? GameSpot gave it a meager 6.0, while the users/readers (~1,600 votes) gave it a 8.9!

Old 24th January 2009, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11121

There is a demo, I tried that the other day albeit briefly, I suggest you try that first.

I tend to take little notice of gamespot scores lately, hell they gave NFS undercover a 7 which is an utter piece of garbage.
But back to M&B, think of it as being a knight in Total War, you do your fighting on horseback mainly. The game feels like an indie game, it doesn't have the production values of a AAA title and feels like it could do with more time in the cooker at times. But if you approach it with the frame of mind that it is indeed an indie game and take it's shortcomings as part of it's charm you may enjoy it.

But as said try the demo first.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1677

Devilish

M&B can actually be a little addictive at first. It's just a simple bit of fun. A lot of people had a go at it because apparently the combat is similar to Darkfall Online.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 170

ive been interested in this game aswell, apparently you can have an army follow you around, can anyone elaborate.
zetadeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1677

Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetadeltar View Post
ive been interested in this game aswell, apparently you can have an army follow you around, can anyone elaborate.
You start off alone but if you free slaves/farmers (for example) or hire farmers from local towns, they join your army. As they fight you can skill them up to milita etc.

The army doesn't actually show on the travelling map that they're following you, you still only see a small icon representing you and the army. When in third person view (fighting) your followers are there with you. You can give them orders to do things like stay close or spread out etc.
Old 25th January 2009, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1678

I have been playing it off and on since 2006, at $7.50 it is a steal.
Old 25th January 2009, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 2013 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I have been playing it off and on since 2006, at $7.50 it is a steal.
I have been playing consistently since about 05 I think. Its been sucking up hours again in the last couple of months. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the combat IMO is the best I have ever seen. I never tire of riding around chopping into people's head with an axe or playing light cavalry and pin cushioning people with a bow.

The mods are where the game shines as the 'native' world wears thin after a while. The sheer amount of mods is what extends the playing life of this game.

The Escapist : Review: Mount & Blade

is a good article I think.

As others have said, grab the demo and give it a go. There is a bit of a steep learning curve though. If you have any questions, let us know mate but also the forums for the game itself have heaps of info too.
Tulgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

I didn't have any time to give the demo a shot, but after reading the comments on this thread, I figured the game would definitely be worth the 7,50 Euros.
And you've got to love mod'able games,
Thank you very much for your replies!
Old 4th March 2009, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 24

Aggressive
Default Mount & Blade is Lots of Fun

Mount & Blade is great fun, get the FREE Demo

You get 6 slots to play a mission ,which allows you to play for one game Month, at which point the game tempory Locks encouraging to purchase the game to go on.
You can then ,play another slot , delete and restart , or buy the game and open continuing onward.

You start the game with a Leader Character, you hire your forces from either hiring peasants from town or enter cities and hire Mercenaries. You can also at the taverns in cities hire Followers who stats develope as does your main character.

There lots of Fun to be had !!

there tons of info available , mods that can also be played.

Personaly i played the Free Demo over several times and enjoyed it so much i bought the Game when i saw it in store and being older, it was such a low price I could not resist. I am holding off on loading the game onto my New Computer then I likely shut the world out for few days and reveal in it Glory.

Solo is an option , or you may choose to join one of the factions in game.

For those that love Trade, there great opertunities there too, while not necessary to be involved in Trade if your pure combat minded.

There is a Prisoner segment to the game which is a interesting angle.

I highly recommend you take some time to read the forums on game play as you will enrich your game play immensly and shorten the Learning curve while enlighten yourself to many side themes within the game.

If your a jump ride in type , hack and slash type the games open to this approach too.

Highly recommend this Game as a filler for anyone especially stuck wait for the next release, cause its FREE Demo and loads of fun !!!!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 498

Crappy

A couple of things I liked. Being able to play a female knight and wearing armour made of steel instead of the latex you see in so many other games.