As far as turn based strategy games go, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic has been the best game I've ever played by an absolute mile. I find myself playing it time and time again. However it is starting to get a bit old and I was wondering if anyone who has played the game, has found another more modern game that approaches it.
These are the aspects of the game I particularly like:
- Excellent random map generator
- Multitude of races and units that each play so differently
- Simple and functional diplomatic model
- Very simple gameplay (don't need to read rules to play)
- Doesn't really get too bogged down
- Never know what 'flavour' the game is going to take
- Turn based
I've tried to find a replacement/supplement game for years. Some have come close but none have knocked it off its pedestal:-
Dominions 3 - Great game but need to keep referring to reference to play the game effectively.
Gal Civ2 Twilight of the Arnor - Excellent game but not quite as diverse as AoW. Close but not quite.
Civ4 - Good but not the diversity of units or strategy.