Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th April 2009, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Ace - Post: 8726 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Question Dawn of War II Help

I really like the look of this game but I've read mixed reviews. My gaming magazine gives it 9/10 but I've read some reviews by gamers saying it's too easy and the missions are almost the same so I'm not too sure if I should buy it. I've played some RTS but it was a long time ago and now I play more RPG / FPS games.

So I'm throwing this out to you for some advise, pluses and minuses please.

Thanks.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” ― Douglas Adams
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th April 2009, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 119

Stay away unless you want to play competitively online.
The single player is at best a poor tutorial for the multi.
Old 13th April 2009, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 2018 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

Overall, I liked it. I got it when it first came out, but only recently completed it. I am not an online strategy multiplayer, definitely preferring single player options, so I can see that to maximise the value for $$ you probably need to be willing to play online.

I liked it as it quick paced - some missions only taking 8-10 min. There was an RPG element in that you skill up your squaddies and get some loot (random I think) from various kills.

I did find the overall campaign a bit easy, although I played it only on the medium level difficulty.

I liked the tactical aspect of combat, but sometimes with some bigger battles, particularly against tyrannid swarms, I had no clue what was happening other than my marines were carving through them and I just had to press buttons to heal up, or throw a grenade everynow and then.

There is some (arbitrary) rewards for different play styles. I preferred to clear whole maps, which at times would take 25 min or so rather than the quick style of going straight for the main boss. I figured I would get more loot optons by clearing the map. You score different points depending on % enemies killed, time taken and own team losses.

Overall, I put the game in a 'good category' without being brilliant. I love the 40k universe and story, so that may bias my positive perspective somewhat too.
Tulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 17

Amused

I have to agree, stay away unless you really like to play multiplayer online, I have stayed playing Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, mostly Dark Crusade as my mod works with that.

And the fact DoW2 has GFWL and Steam, if it only had GFWL I could probably put up with it, but both, no thanks.

What is your life? - My honour is my life.
What is your fate? - My duty is my fate.
What is your fear? - My fear is to fail.
What is your reward? - My salvation is my reward.
What is your craft? - My craft is death.
What is your pledge? - My pledge is eternal service.
GlenGrainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Ace - Post: 8726 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Thanks guys, you've answered my question. GW will always be my first game but for now, I'll stick to getting shot in CoD4.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” ― Douglas Adams
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Correspondent
Correspondent
Elite - Post: 4611

Breezy

COD4 Single Player was fantastic.

You will love it!
Old 21st May 2009, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4938 TOG Gold Level Supporter

There is a Demo you can download here at Steam.
I really enjoy the single player campaign, as there is scope for different strategies and the AI has been improved. Multiplayer is a real hoot, too.
We have a Subforum in the Memebers' Strategy section. Come on down and post up.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 2758

I loved the game
About to start getting back into it as I gave Red Alert II a go, which is disappointing to say the least.

Storying line for the game, meh.
MP, pretty good
Style of the game, loved it. It gives some pretty intense battles though to get that level you have to use keyboard shortcuts, use the right weaponry, and push tactics and speed.
Otherwise, you can just back off a bit and walk through it repeating tactics. Which you will see mentioned in many reviews.
MP however you cannot do that. You have to play quick and smart. But it is great fighting a smaller fight and faster fight.