Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default What are your thoughts about MYST?

I have an old jalopy of a PC with a Celeron processor running at 2.2 GHz and 1 GB of RAM. So my PC gaming is limited to older games.

I like some of the FPS games as long as it's not exclusively shooting (i.e. Unreal) which is why my all-time favorite games are Half-Life and Half-Life II, both of which played fine on my computer. I also enjoy the old Tom Clancy games for PC.

I asked my Professional Gaming Consultant (a.k.a. my 16-year-old son) about MYST and he thought I would like it because it's more of a strategy game.

But I read that the original MYST is in fact too old doesn't play well on Windows XP, and my PGC suggested that I get a later release. But I don't want to have the opposite problem of the game needing more horsepower than my PC can provide.

What are your thoughts about MYST in general and which release should I get? If there is already a thread on this topic, please provide the link.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Relztrah
Relztrah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th May 2009, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

If you haven't played it before then you'll love Deus Ex. It's a shooter but it's more of a role playing game with a great story, right up there with the likes of Half Life. It runs on a modified Unreal 1 engine and you can find it on Steam really cheap. If you've already played it check out http://www.thenamelessmod.com/ it's a big mod for Deus Ex one, it's about 1GB and has several hours of dialogue and took 7 years to make.

Last edited by Drac; 24th May 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5239

Tired

MYST isn't strategy, it is puzzle, and I think every gamer should experience it. A quick google search gives lots of hits for "running myst on xp". For instance:

Riven (& Myst) QuickTime troubleshooting - MYSTcommunity

I've played through all the MYST games (I-V and Uru) and enjoyed them all.

I will second Drac's suggestion of Deus Ex. Ripper of a game.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

I bought the 'Big Bytes' budget version of Myst which works fine, pretty sure it's been re-released specifically to work under XP.

Red and white packaging, 10 bucks. Worth every cent
Old 29th May 2009, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
If you haven't played it before then you'll love Deus Ex. It's a shooter but it's more of a role playing game with a great story, right up there with the likes of Half Life. It runs on a modified Unreal 1 engine and you can find it on Steam really cheap. If you've already played it check out TNM - The Nameless Mod it's a big mod for Deus Ex one, it's about 1GB and has several hours of dialogue and took 7 years to make.
I'm not familiar with mods. How does this work? Would I need to install the original Deus Ex in order to play the mod? If there's already a tutorial or thread elsewhere on TOG, just direct me there. Yes, I played the original Deus Ex some time ago and enjoyed it, but I unstalled the game and sold the CD.

My son has a Steam account which I can use, and I trust I can pay with PayPal.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Relztrah is offline   Reply With Quote