Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th July 2009, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leevers

Default Blizzard confirms Starcraft II will not have LAN support

Source: 3FL

In what is a rather disappointing move, Blizzard's Rob Pardo has confirmed that Blizzard will not be shippping Starcraft II with support for LAN multiplayer games, and there are no intentions to introduce it at a later date.

Rob Pardo had this to say about the issue:

"we don't have any plans to support LAN... we will not support it."

Much of what arguably made the original game so successful was the ability to battle it out via LAN with friends, which I have fond memories of doing myself. So this effectively means that the only multiplayer capability will be via online gameplay through Blizzard's Battle.net matchmaking system. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend, as proper multiplayer (both offline and online) is a standard that most players have come to expect from games for a number of years now.

Old 9th July 2009, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5353

Breezy

I'd say this would have been motivated by piracy concerns, pretty pathetic to punish the playerbase because of actions of some.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9350

Breezy

Rather disappointing but will not stop me from buying it at this stage.
Old 10th July 2009, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6641

Grumpy

Cant say i have ever had the inclination to drag my rig around the countryside, not really the done thing in these parts.

Though i do know it is a popular pastime in some areas, i would not of thought it would of been such a hard thing to put in place. Perhaps just a sign of the times
Old 13th July 2009, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Dangerous - Post: 500

Tired

Its not really a problem because if battle.net 2.0 works as well as the old battle.net there was never any downtime or problems with it. I don't think I have ever had any problems with battle.net, and I like the stat tracking, etc. Me and my son play on battle.net all the time when we could just play lan.

mortlmike
Mortlmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortlmike View Post
Its not really a problem because if battle.net 2.0 works as well as the old battle.net there was never any downtime or problems with it.
It's a problem because at a typical LAN event you have one ADSL connection feeding 30+ machines. It's quite impossible to play over the internet like that unless you run a net cafe with a very fat dedicated internet pipe.

Not having LAN support for what many consider the biggest multiplayer RTS franchise of all time seems, well, wrong.

I'll still get it because I don't play RTS multiplayer, but that still kinda blows. I bet all he net cafe owners in Korea had a heart attack when they heard that, think of all the extra bandwidth it'll cost them.

Last edited by Drac; 14th July 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25509

Amused

Bring back the LAN petition (over 57k signed).

LAN in Starcraft 2 Please. - Signatures

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6641

Grumpy

Thanks for that Reoh, ill sign it for them, what Drac said seemed valid to me so many people would miss out on there fun.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Also remember that if Starcraft has no LAN support, neither will Diablo III, and that most defiantly is a game I'll be playing at LANs.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1626

Mellow

These are the sort of games people play at Lans ALL the time - Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft (the rts) Gees it may be ok for the lucky people in America and China where they all have optical fibre connections but where i am and the rest of the blokes i know that want to play, we all have pretty crap connections because thats the best we can get in our area. Ah well stuff them, first they want you to buy different copies of the game if you want to use the different races and now they screw us by taking lan out - WoW has turned them into money hungry fools. If there's no lan, then I for one am not buying this game or Diablo. End of Rant.