Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th July 2009, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused
Default Final Fantasy XIII

No Final Fantasy XIII thread? I better start one.

More About This White-Haired Boy Final Fantasy XIII Character - Square Enix - Kotaku

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th July 2009, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Anyone care to explain what the FF games are actually about?

I've tried to play them a few times but they didn't really seem to be about anything, just lots of generic "this guy is bad, hit him" stuff and lots overly technical exposition to try and make "magic" seem to fit in the world. I didn't understand any of the movies either, it all seemed like 80% chest beating fights, 19.9% boob wobbling and 0.1% plot, maybe I'm missing something.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 371

Pensive

Got to love final fantasy,i havent yet played the new one but would love to hear all about it
Old 19th July 2009, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Anyone care to explain what the FF games are actually about?

I've tried to play them a few times but they didn't really seem to be about anything, just lots of generic "this guy is bad, hit him" stuff and lots overly technical exposition to try and make "magic" seem to fit in the world. I didn't understand any of the movies either, it all seemed like 80% chest beating fights, 19.9% boob wobbling and 0.1% plot, maybe I'm missing something.
Historically... the company was going broke, so they closed down all operations except one, and threw everything they had into it. They took a chance and made a game not very typical of the time, Final Fantasy I. It was a game that relied a lot more on story than anything else. The reveal of the story as you play a team RPG style on your way through discovering the world as well.

Lately though, they just seem to churn them out, I haven't bothered with the last few iterations. X2 was the last I bought and it was just so cheesy I couldn't stomach it for more then 30mins (I wanted to exit after about 5).

PS I liked the movies, although seriously - how many times do they have to release the same bloody movie (with 2mins more footage?! zomg!!).

We need you, Citizen!
Old 19th July 2009, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6617

Grumpy

If you have tried to play FF before and are unable to pick up on the epic story telling involved then i dare say the series is not suited to yourself, though admittedly i have not taken to the series since it left PS1.
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Yeah, perhaps a large part of my dislike for the games is that I've never been a huge fan of team based RPGs. They give you this avatar that's sort of meant to be "you" but you also have to hand hold every other character?

I like to be a selfish prick in my RPGs and play as "me" rather than play as some noble story teller parroting a script I can't change and micro managing all of the action scenes.

Last edited by Drac; 22nd July 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Amused

For the most part yes its like that, but there are some choices and things you can do to change the way the story goes. Who you have in your party. I remember in... I think it was X if you spoke to one girl more than the others, then in your "ultra-super-cool" limit break move she would toss you the ball instead of the one of the others. Little things like that, but also having certain people in your party could change the script a little but generally its moving to the same end so yeah, I agree with you on that part.

Sounds like you'd enjoy bioware style games more.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Average - Post: 149

Asleep
Default ffantasy

I have played quite a few ffantasy games, it takes lots of time and patience ,and i think alot of stuff gets lost in translation....ie the ff series walks hand in hand with basic manga comics( the japanese comics) and it is huge there, but i dont think many ppl get the drift of the whole scene here.
Maybe thats why its hard to understand for western societys, to "get" a game that comes from mostly eastern ideas???
In saying that, i notice that the latest ffantsy games have more of a "european" feel about them.....
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk View Post
I have played quite a few ffantasy games, it takes lots of time and patience ,and i think alot of stuff gets lost in translation....ie the ff series walks hand in hand with basic manga comics( the japanese comics) and it is huge there, but i dont think many ppl get the drift of the whole scene here.
Maybe thats why its hard to understand for western societys, to "get" a game that comes from mostly eastern ideas???
In saying that, i notice that the latest ffantsy games have more of a "european" feel about them.....
The funny part of which, is that I only liked the mid-range of FF's (I didn't play the earlier ones) and the more recent, 'euro-influenced' versions I couldn't abide. haha.

[edit]
PS - More Screenies

http://kotaku.com/5319866/more-new-f...acter/gallery/

We need you, Citizen!

Last edited by Reoh; 22nd July 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 30th July 2009, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Amused

And some more, this time showing a little more environment and less 'all of the same one guy we don't know much about'.

New Final Fantasy XIII Field Screens

We need you, Citizen!