TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21st January 2010, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default Empires of Steel

Been playing with a gem of an indie game called Empires of Steel. Very much a 'beer and pretzels' sort of game - which I like.

Battlefront.com - Empires of Steel

It is basically a modernised version of the old classic Empire game, and for an indie game with just a single developer, it is really quite polished. The game is turn-based 'we-go' where each player gives their units orders for the round, then the round is played out. The game is very active as far as updates are concerned with new things being added every few weeks at the moment.

Battlefront are the publishers - and I think this is the worst aspect of the game. Battlefront have had some gems of games over the years like Combat Mission etc but because they are so small the price of their games is high. Would have been awesome if Steam or Impulse had been involved as the price would have been much lower. The price, btw, is US$45. I didn't purchase until after playing the demo, then knew it was going to be a 'keeper' for many years. For me, it is well worth the $$$.

The game generates a random map and you can either play against AI (which isn't too bad) or multiplayer (I haven't played against real people yet). You build units (air, sea or land) and essentially just try to take over the map. The map has resources (gold, oil, food, steel) which your units use so you need to balance your needs with your means. The resource management is not a large part of the game and the developer has simplified this as much as possible.

Anyhow, thought I would put in a recommendation for any players who enjoy these simple sort of wargames. Best of this sort of game I've played.