Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2010, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12265

Default Test Drive Unlimited 2

The original Test Drive Unlimited was, in it's day - simply awesome. For those who didn't get a chance or opportunity to try out the original, you missed out on a truly great example of a genre breaking successful experiment. It wasn't without its flaws of course, but they were few and far between. A truly brilliant game experience without peer.

And now we have TDU2 on it's way! Set on the Mediterranean island of Ibiza, giving you the hottest cars in the world, and over 2000 miles of open roads for you to thunder down.

TDU2 isn't a racing game, it's not a simulator - it's something else. It's very much a game focused on driving, and driving fast - but at the same time, it leaves it up to you, the gamer, to decide where, when and in what car. There are races - epic races that have no equal in any car/driving/racing games. But the broad appeal, and where the original game shone so very very brightly, was in it's open road cruising.

And one unexpected bonus for fans of the original (set in Hawaii) is the ability to jet off to the island of Oahu to continue cruising! So yep - not just one island, but two!

Home | Test Drive Unlimited 2 Official Website

UPDATE: Now available for pre-purchase via Steam!! And it's only $39.99USD - so get in while it's cheap, as this will no doubt go full price closer to the release date!!

Info on the game, system requirements & Steam exclusive bonuses can be found here.

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core2Duo E8400 or AMD Phenom II X2 555 or better
    • Memory: 2GB RAM
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or better
    • DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 3GB free
    • Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
    • Peripherals: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, Logitech Dual Action, Logitech Rumblepad 2
    • Other Requirements: Internet connection required

Listed release date on Steam is currently January 2011 - but I'd not bank on that going unchanged.

Last edited by Spectre8; 23rd November 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th March 2010, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25537

Amused

Test Drive was one of my first PC games, possible the first even.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Yeah was one of my first - but Commander Keen takes the title of first - followed shortly after with Duke Nukem

TDU was the first PC game I bought that made me think that cross-platform games aren't all bad. It'd have been brilliant on a net-linked console - as good as on PC. Great game, great series
Old 5th March 2010, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2244

Cynical

This is awesome news. Loved TDU so much that just driving around and exploring the island was as much fun as the races etc. Loved collecting the cars and waiting for the "rare" ones to become available at the showroom. Hmmm I think I be re-installing it over the weekend.
Dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Ok so the latest news is the setting...

I loved the simply brilliant idea of setting TDU on the Hawaiian island Oahu - it creates a believable world where you can drive anywhere you can see, without hitting invisible barriers or impassable cliffs like you see in many similar titles. Got me thinking what they'd do to overcome that problem with the follow-up...

Ibiza

Yup, the Spanish island of Ibiza will be the new setting for TDU2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Atari have also announced that Test Drive Unlimited 2 will feature dynamic weather effects, day & night cycles and vehicle damage. They have also mentioned that the game will take place on Ibiza. Players will be able to customize both their characters and their vehicles. It was also announced on March 15 that TDU2 will feature SUVs and a co-op game mode in which one player drives while the other player reads the map
Looking VERY cool! Check Wiki for the rest of the info as the TDU2 site is still just a teaser at the moment.
Old 25th April 2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Breezy

this looks really good... especially the in-car cam!
troiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11127

I spent a lot of hours in the first TDU and enjoyed every minute of it so full of anticipation about this one, first screenshots landed a few weeks back now, I mentioned my excitement on our podcast as well, hell TDU was mentioned a few times on our casts actually as underrated, under marketed, under appreciated, hopefully they can make sure it get's some attention this time.

The game mechanics are solid I agree, this is as much a driving/cruising simulator as a racer.
They just need to polish a few bits here and there. Ibiza will be a good setting despite being another tropical location.

What I'd love to see for this game are mod tools, so people can make their own full size locations.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

I read that apparently there'll be an unlock where you can use the airport and fly off to Oahu - and have full access to a revamped version of the original!?!?

Not sure how well that'll work - for me the idea of splitting the userbase over two locations is questionable... even though I like the idea

Lots more info to come.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25537

Amused

That's a joke right, co-op play where one player reads a map? haha

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator

Well - given that they're introducing 4x4 offroad races - it's potentially a good idea. The game as it was, was pretty much a solo excercise. Although there were plenty of others out there to interact with, it wasn't much of a cooperative excercise. There's only so much collaboration possible with driving games - so this is probably the best bet.

Just don't get your wife to read the map!!!!