Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2010, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Default Hoping for TOG community suggestions and help!!

Hello fellow gamers.

I have found myself in a funk with games at the moment and I am looking for the next game that will capture my attention. I am hoping for some input from you folks as I am at a loss. I play a lot of games and have played a lot of games, so I guess I am trying to find a game that slipped by me unnoticed.

Here is some info about my gaming style:

I am looking for a PC game, although I also play a lot of PS3.

I am primarily a MMO player and have played almost every main title there is. I am not interested in getting back into any of them at the moment. Here is a small list of the MMO’s I have NOT played:

Champions Online
Star Trek Online
Any free MMOs
Hmmm I think that may be it. I am not interested in Star Trek, but how is CO? I played City of Heroes for a couple of months only.

I loved Titan Quest along with all the mods and Diablo. I did play Torchlight but couldn’t stay focused. Just not deep enough.

I play FPS games, but not for long. I have never gotten engrossed by an FPS game no matter how much I try. Playing BFBC2 atm randomly.

I am attracted to character building games with depth. Storyline is good, but combat, depth, and open world trump it for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 6th May 2010, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin
The Doctor
Guru - Post: 10330

Have you tried Lotro? Good story line. Nice world. Good crew. I'd go and read the forum. Various classes have different combat depths, but the fellowship system is solid and capable. It's not the most hardcore game, but solid. The PvP aspect is pretty cool as well, especially the Creepside.

- Bay

P.S. Go post this same thread in the lounge and you'll get a much larger response.

Oil? An emergency? Ha! It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realized that to be
dependent on a mineral slime just doesn't make sense. ~ The Doctor
Bayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayland View Post
Have you tried Lotro? Good story line. Nice world. Good crew. I'd go and read the forum. Various classes have different combat depths, but the fellowship system is solid and capable. It's not the most hardcore game, but solid. The PvP aspect is pretty cool as well, especially the Creepside.

- Bay

P.S. Go post this same thread in the lounge and you'll get a much larger response.
Thanks Bayland. I did try LOTRO a looong time ago. I should probably take a peek again.

Thanks
Old 6th May 2010, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

Not going to suggest a game, but I am going to say that I can't get into any MMOs or even top selling FPS games unless I have a close group of regular people to play with. It doesn't matter how good the game is, if there's no regular troupe, there's no game IMO. Perhaps this is the root of your funk?

I've often found that the sheer volume of people playing games in TOG can work against this (Bad Company 2, for example). Every time I log on there are 30 new names or voices to learn and everyone tends to turn into just random faces in a vast sea. While this can be fun if the division is really large then the community aspects tend to feel distant and vacant. The natural side effect of this is that smaller groups tend to form out of the masses.

If you really want to get into a game for the long haul I think you need to find a small group that always play at the same time as you and has the same gaming tastes. The best way I've found to do this is to take a risk on a new game you think you'll really enjoy, get in with the early crowd. Use the public or division forums to organise US game sessions on Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Mumble voice ect (unless someone is already organising them) and things just kind of roll on from there. If you don't have a microphone/headset, get one yesterday.

I think with multiplayer games the people you play with matter a lot more than the game you play. There are already quite a few sub-groups of people in TOG who kind of follow each other around from game to game as new titles are released, and each of them often use different voice servers to the ones the standard TOG division promotes - mostly out of habit and because those people might play several different games in a night and thus don't want to keep changing voice channels/servers. Getting in early is probably the best way to find or forge these sub-groups as one of the best things about gaming is exploring new games, and there's nothing better than exploring new multiplayer games with a group of people you've played with a lot previously.

Of course, exploring new games risks your hard earned $$$ and it's not always a solid bet, but it's damn fun and often worth the risks.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote