The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/)
-   -   Shogun II Total War (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/302517-shogun-ii-total-war.html)

Vulcan21 8th June 2010 04:10 PM

Shogun II Total War

Shogun 2

King_Rocket 8th June 2010 04:41 PM

I'm gonna miss my Napleon Era cannons.

Manyfingers 20th March 2011 11:13 AM

Well .. its out now. Available on steam and all the usual places in oz.

Graphics are good, sound is good, immersion is good. The tutorials are actually helpful without making you feel inadequate for using them. However they need to give more info about diplomacy

I'm finding it a bit slow going in the campaign but I'm only a casual RTS player and I've found it a bit buggy, to be expected in week one of a new game these days though.

They released one "update" that locked out the entire player base which they "fixed" with another update. Last night they released another update which seems to have disabled multi-player ... not that I'm going to be doing much of that.

Anyone else got this yet?

ps .. it does have cannons !

Vulcan21 21st March 2011 07:30 AM

I have this latest title and really love it. It takes Total War back to a similar gameplay structure of the first release, which was Rome Total War.
The single player campaign is naturally slow and the bugs are very few compared to previous releases.
I am finding scrolling around the campaign map very laggy and unresponsive at times, which I put down to running the game on ultra I guess.

rawprawn 21st March 2011 09:37 AM

Bring on Rome TW 2.

Ace Rimsey 21st March 2011 09:03 PM

Lucky for me I waited until tomorrow to go and pick up my copy. Guess I will be in for some patching before I play my first game.

I gave up on Empire Total War because of all the ingame bugs.

Ace Rimsey 21st March 2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan21 (Post 3084665)
I have this latest title and really love it. It takes Total War back to a similar gameplay structure of the first release, which was Rome Total War.

Actually Shogun Total War was their first ever release. I still have my copy which I played for ages back in the day. I never Did get any of the later ones like Rome or Medieval as they kept crashing on my Hardware. I did buy Empire Total Wars but the bugs were so bad i had to give up on that game too.

Bought Napoleon Total war too, but too busy to play it.

I hope I can put a good solid 2 months of gaming on TWS2.

Father 21st March 2011 09:51 PM

Haven't picked it up yet, I'll wait for a sale, admittedly there is so much gameplay and longevity in TW games that even the AU rip off price is worth it but I'm still playing Napoleon and I really want to finish my Euro campaign, then the peninsular one and then also play as England once as well before I move to Shogun by which time hopefully it does go on sale.

Crispimeat 21st March 2011 11:12 PM

Shogun was the only Total War game I finished over and over again loved it, now Shogun 2 with 2 played co-op campaign is awesome and wished now all the TW series had this mode.

p.s. Father pick it up best TW game yet nothing like samurai hiding in the bamboo waiting for passing prey :D

Purg 22nd March 2011 06:22 AM

I've been a fan ever since the first Shogun even though I can barely remember playing it - was that long ago.

The AI - uber challenging. Diplomacy is essential and cannot be ignored unless you want to have swarms of AI storming your castles every turn. They prey on the weak at their weakest points.

The design, the music, the art - a lot of care and attention has gone into this. I've only got about 15 hours and into a 2nd campaign after being handed my arse on the first for the very first time in a TW. Some discontent about what happens when you start dominating the map called a 'realm divide' that I've yet to experience. A mod is already in beta to balance that aspect.

If you're a fan, get it today. If you've got a whole bundle of games already in the queue (like I currently do...) wait for a special.