Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th August 2010, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1315

Default Oblivion GOTY Deluxe

Hello all,

Yes, yes, I know... It is absolutely crazy that a veteran gamer like myself has NEVER played this game. Well, steam put it on sale and I could not resist the price of $9.00 for the deluxe edition with all expansions and DLC.

So last night I got it installed and I started playing. I played through the jail breakout and met with the kings bastard child. I wanted to keep playing into the night, but I had to go to bed. I now have some questions that I was hoping my fellow toggers could answer:

I hear so much about mods. I want to play the game through at least once with very few mods. I downloaded and installed the OBMM only as well as the unofficial patches. I would like to install a few mods to improve the UI as it is pretty old and clunky. I would also love a good graphics enhancement UI. Can you guys give me some suggestions and let me know if they would be friendly to the steam version?

Is my above approach of playing the game through without many mods stupid? should I reconsider?

I started a mage/sorcerer. As a new player is this going to be very difficult? I saw a post somewhere that suggested the mages hold off on the main questline and go do the mage guild questlind for rewards and riches. Do you agree? If so, how do I start that?

I also heard something about a pub to go to where I could get a free lifetime room? Anyone give me clarity on what this is?

Wow, so many questions, I wont ask them all.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 14th August 2010, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

this is the place you want to go: The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community

mods that don't modify the exe should be ok with the Steam version.

mages are pretty powerful and just get more powerful as you go along... I tend to like melee combat because it is more challenging. the guild quest lines are always a good thing to do really. I also tend to explore a lot and hit the many dungeons across the landscape.

for a house, I usually just get a mod house and the last one I had was actually a full blown castle about in the middle, really nice. Lots of storage and there was a quest to get it, so you did have to beat some baddies, it wasn't totally free.

the main thing with OB4 is that you can pretty much do whatever you like. I personally got bored clearing out all the gates, but there is good loot in there.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
this is the place you want to go: The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community

mods that don't modify the exe should be ok with the Steam version.

mages are pretty powerful and just get more powerful as you go along... I tend to like melee combat because it is more challenging. the guild quest lines are always a good thing to do really. I also tend to explore a lot and hit the many dungeons across the landscape.

for a house, I usually just get a mod house and the last one I had was actually a full blown castle about in the middle, really nice. Lots of storage and there was a quest to get it, so you did have to beat some baddies, it wasn't totally free.

the main thing with OB4 is that you can pretty much do whatever you like. I personally got bored clearing out all the gates, but there is good loot in there.
Thanks Brohawk, I am checking out that site.

Could you give me the name of the castle you earned through the mod? Would I be able to do the quest to get the castle too at a low level? I don't know anything about player housing in the vanilla game, I guess it would be nice to have a house from the start?

Any more info on the other concerns is appreciated, or just some tips and tricks from any oblivion vets out there.

Thanks.
Old 14th August 2010, 04:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains

Amused

Glenvar Castle at The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community

I think I was around lvl 20 or so, it wasn't easy and the hidden latch is really tough to find. Also you do have to have some money to fix it up, but it is pretty nice once it is all fixed. Includes a stable and a garden too if I remember correctly.

The main thing is to save often, and have fun. It really is a great game.
Old 14th August 2010, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
Glenvar Castle at The Elder Scrolls Nexus - Oblivion mods and community

I think I was around lvl 20 or so, it wasn't easy and the hidden latch is really tough to find. Also you do have to have some money to fix it up, but it is pretty nice once it is all fixed. Includes a stable and a garden too if I remember correctly.

The main thing is to save often, and have fun. It really is a great game.
Thanks again for your help, I did see that mod and it looks fantastic.

For now, is there a mod that could provide me with a small player home or shack for free? Is there any player housing in the vanilla game at all? I am interested in having some storage and a place to sleep while I learn the game a bit. Then later I can take on the challenge of that castle. Any input on new player housing would be great.

Thanks again.
Old 14th August 2010, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains

Amused

there is a house in the town in the lower left hand corner of your map, forget the name, talk to a guy in the tavern and he will sell you the house for cheap, you just have to remove the current residents.. pretty nice house and though it isn't free, it is pretty cheap considering.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 289

If you have all the expansions ans dlc, you should be able to get tons of houses. Your 'uncle' should have left you a mage tower which doesn't take anything to claim except a hike. Later in the game you can own a whole gambit of houses, from a pirate ship to and evil cave of evil. I suggest you pick a house and stick with it.

Rakshala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12257

From (dodgy) memory, there's a free room and secure chest to store stuff, just north of the city sewer. The inhabitants of the small town need your help - go do that small side quest, and they reward you with a permanent room.

There's also a house available for purchase in every city - you need to be liked, and have some decent cash too.

And yup, with the expansion packs you've got, there'll be two (at least) places for you. There's the castle from your "uncle", and Frostspire or whatever it is... something like that.

But short of needing a house - join the guilds It's free, and they each have permanent storage. Free beds, free gear and good access to helpful people

Make sure you try out the Thieves Guild... VERY cool!
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote