TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th September 2010, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired
Default Cryptic Comet??

Anyone know of these indies? Was reading up on the latest comments on Elemental and stumbled across mention of these guys. Cryptic Comet - Turn Based Strategy Games

And I'm really liking what I see! Anyone got any experience with their stuff? I'm going to grab Armageddon Empires when I get home tonight. I'll post again once I have some games under my belt but I have a good feeling about this!

It really does annoy me though, when I find one of these godsend indie developers that but for a stroke of luck I would have remained completely ignorant of!

Old 20th September 2010, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I have both their games and they are really quite good. Solium Infernum seems a little better than AE. Very different sort of game-play to any other game I've played.

I bought them based on the Flash of Steel / Three Moves Ahead podcast recommendations. It seems to have been one of their favourite games and they spent a whole episode from memory going through this in detail. Think they may have also interviewed the dev - but it was a long time ago.

I'm playing Minecraft at the moment - picked it up on the weekend. Given that you have a Dwarf Fortress avatar I think you would love this game as well. It is still in alpha but a lot of fun. Make sure you read the 'getting started' posts though if you get it.

I'm just about to head off and try to secure a Mob Spawner now. You'll know what I mean if you get the game.
Old 20th September 2010, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

Oooh you wretch... If you are pushing Minecraft based on my love for DF then I am off to get it this very minute.

AE strikes me as being a bit similar to Chaos Overlords, a very card/board kind of computer game. I'll know soon, I just snapped them both up.

Last edited by Justin Kace; 20th September 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Doh

Of all the games I think MineCraft is probably the best game I've bought all year - by a mile. Reminds me a lot of Dwarf Fortress but from a first person perspective. It also has the same sort of open ended creative approach that DF allows. Basically just make your own fun and make your own objectives. After destroying the mob spawner (pesky zombies) last night, I'm currently trying to figure out how to build a lava-powered light house. I placed a lava shute near the forest I had planted to have stocks of wood but the trees caught on fire. Looked awesome - even if it did destroy all the timber.

Anyhow, back to the theme of the thread. I agree, AE does seem much like Chaos Overlords. I really liked that game back in its day and wondered why more games weren't designed like it.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

I had a quick peek at MC last night but the lion's share of my gaming time went to AE. Definitely a lot of similarities to Chaos Overlords, but that's not a bad thing. I've been waiting for more games like CO for a looong time. UI could use an overhaul. There is a LOT of unnecessary mouse clicking in AE.

MC is gonna get some loving tonight. Been watching vids of it all day here at 'work'. Man it looks like a blast! I cant wait til it's working multipass again and I can jump on with some mates and get constructing. Boy it's going to be brilliant when it has more engineering support like DF does. Water pumps, mills, etc... You know of any more toggers playing? I'd much rather chuck about on a multi map than fiddle with myself...

Edit: Did you discover Dominions 3? Somewhat well hidden gem, absolutely wonderful game.

Edit 2: Duh, half a page down...http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...t-servers.html

Last edited by Justin Kace; 21st September 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
Did you discover Dominions 3? Somewhat well hidden gem, absolutely wonderful game.
That is another great game. I bought it just because of the reports I heard about the manual.
Haven't played it for quite a while now but it is still installed.