Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2010, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 11

Tired
Default Dragon Age Ultimate Edition... need a little help

This is a rather embarrassing post to have to make, but while I was trying to enable the developers console for the Steam version of Dragon Age I've actually somehow managed to corrupt my DAOriginsLauncher.xml file...

I was just hoping that someone who has a current (ie updated) version of the game installed could copy the contents of it into a reply, or send/link me to a copy of the file, I'd me most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

(a very sheepish)
~ †Reno
o0reno0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th November 2010, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1744

Sorry I can't help but please allow me to laugh and ask how the heck did you manage to corrupt a text file?!

It souldn't be to hard to find a replacement as its a common issue for that file to be missing or slammed as a false positive by virus scanners.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tired

Heh, I don't blame you for having a bit of a lol at my expense, I have to admit that I facepalmed when I realised what I'd managed to do... I mean what kind of noob edits a core file without backing it up to start with?... ... ...

I'm not quite sure how I managed it... I simply added a parameter to a certain line of text... then, when it didn't work, I removed the addition I made... only to find that the file still didn't work ...

I've actually had a quick look trying to find a replacement, but no joy so far... if you find a place that hosts a suitable file, please link me here.

Thanks again.

Last edited by o0reno0o; 19th November 2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: just added the first paragraph
Old 19th November 2010, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tired

oh, for those who have the game and are wondering where the file is located in
\Steam\steamapps\common\dragon age ultimate edition\data

thanks again
~ †Reno
Old 20th November 2010, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Sounds like the XML is now malformed. All the <open> and </close> tags need to be correct or the system will get confused much like an old word processor. XML is a great format for rich data, but best not to mess with it unless you fully understand the syntax.

I have a copy of that file, but I don't have the ultimate edition of DAO so not sure if this will work: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129457/DAOriginsLauncher.xml

Or simply delete the file then right click the game in your steam library and go to properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache. This should re-download any missing files from steam's content servers.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tired

thanks a heap, that works out just fine

I still can't believe I managed to brick it, but thanks for saving me having to dig around for a mystery file from the net or having to manage anything more dramatic.