Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th June 2011, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
MMO Division Admin
All Knowing - Post: 17357

Default Dungeon Siege III demo

Hey guys

Downloaded this over Steam for the PC to give it a go (since I've pre-ordered the game )

Before I start, let me say that if you are expecting DS I or II with upgraded graphics then you are going to be dissapointed. DS III is basically a seperate game with seemingly little to do with previous versions of the game.

The controls are not that great. It's pretty clear the game is written primarily for console and it shows. For a keyboard/mouse user I found the direction/camera controls confusing. The UI is also very much in the console space with each inventory, skills, etc page taking up the entire screen. While I did find swicthing between them easy enough, the fact that you couldn't have them all open at once is pure console.

For the most part, this is the only real complaint I have about the demo. Everything else went pretty smoothly. The graphics are good as is the game play. While the automatic targetting can be a little frustrating at times, it's also workable. Once I got used to how the game functioned the game was fun to play and will be quite fast paced.

Overall I like what I've seen and I'll be keeping my pre-order The game is scheduled to be released on the 18th June (according to Steam).

Old 8th June 2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5239

Tired

I played through with K&M with the dude last night and just went through using a controller with the chick. WOW! It plays so much better with the controller ...

I would suggest using the hold right-click method of movement not 'W' to move forward.

Agree with your assessment of the interface, It's clunky and certainly designed with controllers in mind. Tip: If you get into the UI by pressing 'C' or the equip screen with 'F', press them same key again to go straight back into the game rather than pressing 'Esc' multiple times.

It does feel very corridor-y but thinking back DS1 and 2 sort of were too, just the map didn't accentuate the fact by only showing the corridor on the map, similar to Dragon Age 2.

Overall I think there is potentially a good game underneath.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7271

Paranoid

Wasn't that impressed with it myself. I got up to the blowing up of the bridge and got bored. Might wait for a special and have another look at it.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5239

Tired

So conversation aside you played it for less than five minutes? 75% of which was walking from A to B?
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leevers

Thanks for the input guys. I was going to have a look at this and had been keen for a while, but based on the above reviews I'll wait until D3
Old 9th June 2011, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1448 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cynical

Was there any way to turn off the stupid target lock? It completely ruins the game, what were they thinking there?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 03:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1328

I am also seriously considering getting this game. I am a huge fan of Diablo/TitanQuest/DS games.

I was pretty unimpressed by the demo for the same reasons that have been mentioned above. But to be fair, I would have to play for a few hours and get accustomed to the UI/Controls/feel of the game before judging it.

The skill system was pretty interesting actually. It looked very blase and bland, until I realized how many different ways you can adjust/spec your skills. Talents, skills, proficiencies, etc.

I am still interested, but will probably wait a few weeks after release and get feedback from all of you before purchasing.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7271

Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku View Post
So conversation aside you played it for less than five minutes? 75% of which was walking from A to B?
Didn't like the look, didn't like the feel, didn't like the aiming and combat mechanics.. so yes, I'll wait for a special.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

I didn't get much further than Purg myself.

Spent most of my time walking though linear corridors with barrels full of gold to collect, might be fun for some but not me.

The world and mechanics just felt really stale. Dodgy UI, flat story and flatter characters. Dragon Age was better tho I got bored of that one pretty quickly too - DA had a great start with the blight and the war against evil, then it wanted me to forget most of that and play as a boring politician and fetch chickens or some crap - all the extra stuff they try to cram into games of late often seems to really water down the experience and make me give up on it.

Need more Mass Effect type games were most of that crap is left out and you just get into the meat of it. Funny how Mass Effect and Dragon Age are both bioware games yet I really didn't like DA, must be a fantasy thing with me or perhaps fantasy brings out too many chicle's that just bored me to tears. I still enjoy the elderscrolls games... I dunno, something DSIII and DA that strikes me as being similarly dull.

Last edited by Drac; 12th June 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Battlefield
Elite - Post: 2961 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Yeehaw

Just finished playing as Lucas (fighter). I'm gonna play again as fire chic to see the difference.

I found it to be made especially for console. Going from one screen to the next, not being able to go to your inventory straight from the front screen, no make-up doll to try out gear on.

I found I would wait to get some items then scroll into gear, pick what I wanted then Esc Esc Esc out. So it took two clicks to get into gear and three to get out.

Controls were funny too. From memory DS1 & 2 were left click = move, right click = attack.

Now for DS3 left click = attack, right click = move with added WASD movement as well. WASD control was ok after getting used to. W & S for moving, A & D for rotating camera.

I only had companion for one fight and not sure if they could be controlled too.

Anyway, looks to be a very different game from DS1 & 2. Think I might try with purchasing from Ozgameshop.com for this game.

"Adeo Vita. Adeo Starjack."
Starjack is offline   Reply With Quote