The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/)
-   -   Who likes zombie survival games? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/369797-who-likes-zombie-survival-games.html)

Justin Kace 19th June 2011 03:03 PM

Who likes zombie survival games?

Me! Pick me!

Here's one I'm keeping an eye on. Haven't been able to play yet due to their current lockdown, but it looks right up my alley. :)

Project Zomboid | The Zombie Survival RPG

Edit: They have a demo torrent available and from my first three games I gotta say, they are well on the right track. It's already thoroughly enjoyable and actually quite thought provoking.

My first game I died quickly to a zombie I tried to beat up with a hammer.
Second game I died to a shotgun wielding thief.
And the latest attempt I was doing great! Found a baseball bat and managed to fend off a few zombies. Gathered a goodly amount of supplies from surrounding houses, but on day three all was lost to a horde of zombies as I tried to drag my wife from a burning building!!

The basic premise is the classic zombie apoc. Except they state from the start, this IS the apocalypse. There will be no round two, no getting out, the game will end with you dying.

It's well designed, has good music, and is very atmospheric. I was standing inside my house one night in one of the games above, too awake to sleep, too scared to go out, pacing from window to window trying to catch a glimpse of any zombies outside.

This game is going places!!

Reoh 19th June 2011 06:58 PM

It's a REAL zombie game, you WILL die and the games about how long you can survive without dieing kinda. But in this game a scratch or bite and you're probably toast and there's few guns / ammo so mostly its run like crazy.

If you survive long enough, there are special events too. There's also other survivors and things.

Aldmw 21st June 2011 03:52 AM

Ive been following this for a while (I think I even made a topic about it on here?) but it was only today I got to play it.

Colour me impressed, even with its basic 2D visuals its very gripping and the zombies are genuinely scary. I like the way the field of view works so that stuff pops into view only if youre facing it, it adds to the tension. Im stuck at the part where you cook the soup, my house burns down and if i open the doors, the zombies flood in.

I cant wait for the full version of the game and multiplayer aspects. A definate buy for me. Like Reoh says, this is a real zombie game where the zombies are a genuine threat, rather than being simple fodder for you to kill.

Reoh 23rd June 2011 10:13 AM

The game just got pulled down.

Game Developers Who Don’t Hate Piracy Get Screwed By… Piracy | Kotaku Australia

It seems that while the company accepted their game was going to be pirated, they had a problem with the manner in which it was being done. Rather than being distributed across torrent sites as people may expect, the pirate version was downloading directly fromt he games local servers; ie this was directly costing them real money (not potential money from pirated copies).

Rodimus 23rd June 2011 11:21 PM

A bit ironic. I think I'll just wait for the real zombie apocalypse.

Wa-81-t 26th June 2011 06:39 PM

Just downloaded this pre-alpha (?). Excellent game and a welcome change of pace from my usual FPS/action RPG fare. Well worth checking out..

Justin Kace 26th June 2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reoh (Post 3177608)
The game just got pulled down.

Yeah it's been down for a while, but the pre-alpha tech demo is still available to be played. And it's an excellent example of things to come.