Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th August 2011, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4259

Default R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane, Ken Rolston RPG 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - EA Games

Ken Rolston was the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. You all should really know who R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane are. If not one of them is one of the best fantasy authors of last 15 years the other is creator of Spawn and multiple graphic novels.

This team was put together by a company founded by Curt Schilling. He’s a former American Baseball player and future MLB hall of famer. Ok If I was rich beyond belief I might think of doing it also but I am a nerdy computer database admin. Not one of the best pitchers to play the game. Here is a PAX clip with him announcing the game and talking about his company. Reckoning PAX East Part 1 - EA

A great line from video “I have seen these guys play Frisbee and Flag Football and they are just not athletic.” and “We don’t call you our customer. We don’t call you our consumers. We call you our guests.” Mostly good marketing hype and playing the crowd, but I still liked it.

It looks to be a more action RPG. They have said in an interview that they have hired fighting game developers in order to give it a more action feel. The graphics seem pretty good from the gameplay video. ‪Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning E3 Game play Part 2/3‬‏ - YouTube

There are 3 talent trees that you can put points into as you progress. The Finesse tree I saw in one video had 26 different talents. So it looks as if there will be a decent amount of options to customize your game play. Speaking of customization there will be multiple races to choose at the start along with slider bars to change your appearance. A dev said that you could make Kirk if you really wanted to. Gotta love dropping a Trek reference.

The loot system is “Diablo Style” in that the random generator can create over 2 million pieces of loot. You will be able to equip right from the loot screen or can set items as junk to be sold quickly later.

It will be coming out on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC just like most RPGs do lately. I am hoping that it is not a “port” and the controls for PC are smooth. I am not a fan of multi-platform games but companies are in the business of making money and I can see why it’s done.

Over all it’s likely something people may want to watch out for. With Diablo 3 and the new Elder Scrolls coming out it looks to be a good year from single player RPGs.

Old 10th December 2011, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

SWTOR CE is CHEAP

$275 Kingdoms of Amalur Will Have a $275 Special Edition - PlayStation 3 News at IGN
Old 11th December 2011, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1315

Have been following this game ever since Schilling spent time discussing it on the old World of Warcraft podcasts I would listen to years ago. Very excited.
Old 11th December 2011, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Wow it looks really good. And you can't argue with the talent on the team. I'm normally very sceptical about the success of competition with the mega-franchises, but I reckon this could give D3 a good run for it's money.
Old 11th December 2011, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1315

I don't foresee this game trying to compete with D3 really. It is more like an elder scrolls series game with dark souls combat and ARPG loot. Well, that is what they are trying to do anyway.
Old 11th December 2011, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree that it's much more an Elder Scrolls type game. Maybe a bit more action/fighting but the theme and story elements remind me of Oblivion/Skyrim. It helps that they hired the lead designer of Oblivion.
Old 11th December 2011, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawheidbob View Post
I read up on it and while I won't get it I see were a collector might. Only 300 units and signed by some awesome artists. I would just really hope to get one signed by R.A. Salvatore or Todd McFarlane.

"A special Signature Edition containing all of the content in the Collector's Edition along with "an individually numbered custom sketch by Todd McFarlane" will be limited to 300 units. The Troll figure will be signed by either Todd McFarlane, R. A. Salvatore or Curt Schilling and are numbered 1 to 300. The Signature Edition will be available for $275.00"
Old 8th January 2012, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1272

Dead

I've been following 38 studios since Curt announced he was building a team to make an MMO almost five years ago.Then they buy BHG and decided to launch a single player RPG game first.

They'll drop some big announcement in the coming weeks concerning Reckoning and you can also follow the news on the fansite http://www.38watch.com If you don't want to dig the official forums for infos.

Spoiler alert

Valdur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
The loot system is “Diablo Style” in that the random generator can create over 2 million pieces of loot.
Nice! I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1272

Dead

Reckoning Available Now on Steam!

Valdur is online now   Reply With Quote