Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2012, 03:08 PM   #191 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4434

After reading a few posts where people have been comparing Diablo III and PoE I feel I want to give this a look. I have already preordered D3, but no harm in playing different games in the same genre
It looks like open beta is due in around a month, but if anyone still has an beta invite key I would appreciate it.

World Of Tanks (ASIA) - Black_Ice World Of Warplanes - Black_Ice_ (Retired)
The Elder Scrolls Online - Jade Mist (Sorcerer, Tailoring)
BlackIce is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 6th May 2012, 03:57 PM   #192 (permalink)
Leevers

BlackIce, PM me your e-mail and I'll send an invite to you.

I can guarantee you'll prefer this over D3

EDIT: I forgot, I used the last invite I had. Hopefully someone else can invite you.

Last edited by Leevers; 6th May 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:29 PM   #193 (permalink)
Administrator
MMO Division Admin
All Knowing - Post: 17214

Just a heads up that there will be another Open Beta weekend this weekend. This will be a new build (0.9.9) that will see the introduction of the sixth and final class, the dex/int based Shadow.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:45 PM   #194 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor

I am downloading it now so will get a chance to try it in the stress test this weekend at least.

Old 12th May 2012, 04:08 AM   #195 (permalink)
Average - Post: 150

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
I am downloading it now so will get a chance to try it in the stress test this weekend at least.
Somehow I missed this game, I first heard about it 2 days ago when I saw Totalbiscuit's video about the shadow class.
Looks like an interesting game, from the huge skill-tree it appears your chosen class does not exclude other types of play.
Bling_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 08:03 PM   #196 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4146

Correct. Once you have tried a few characters, you can plan some really weird builds. May or may not work, but interesting

Snott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 04:48 PM   #197 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevers View Post
I can guarantee you'll prefer this over D3
Fully agree. I am so glad I found this before I spent the $60 on D3.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:38 PM   #198 (permalink)
Average - Post: 150

Lurking

Played it a while yesterday, very nice game I have to say.
There doesn't seem to be a choice of gender when making a character. (Witch and Ranger appear to be always female)
Started with a Duellist, but went with a bow anyway, working my way through the skilltree to get some extra damage/speed for it.
Not a very complicated game either, although the skill-tree can be "intimidating" at first glance. Find some passives you want, and work your way there connect-the-dot style.
Since the game will be free, nothing is stopping you from trying it.
No option for Lan games, you need an internet connection to team up. But I suppose the game does not run from their servers once you're outside, so it will probably be a nice co-op game to play on a LanParty.

I haven't played Diablo 3 (yet) so I can't compare them, but the similarities are quite obvious.
Bling_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:52 PM   #199 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor

After playing it for one afternoon I would like to play it more. The skill tree has that Smack you in the face moment. It is a big selling point for the game. The level of customisation that exists between that and the how you can vary your skills via the gems is impressive. I got to see and use very little of it since I only had access for the weekend.

However I did find there were quite a few things that need to be redesigned because they hampered gameplay. The inventory is too small vs the size of the items you pickup. The large shared stash was very nice and would help as you progress or play a 2nd character, but at the begining of the game the inventory really slowed things down. 5 white items will give 1 identification scroll. A full inventory trip back to town was only really giving me around 2.5 ident scrolls. Then I was wasting the scrolls on items I was about to sell, only to get 1/5th of the same ident scroll back. After reading some of the chat on the common channel I got enough hints to figure out some of the obscure trading concepts. ie seperating the transformation fragments into 1/20th of a stack and individually adding them to the trade window will give you 1/5th of an ident fragment for each added, but adding the whole 15 as one stack would only give me 3/5th or 4/5th of an ident in total(instead of 3 full ones if done individually). In theory their system may give a lot of flexibility but in practice it was unnecessary effort that just slowed things down. I found even knowing this it still took me the next 30 minutes or so just running white trash back and forwards to allow me enough identification scrolls just to cover off the items that looked good enough to possibly be an upgrade for me.
As I progressed this requirement stopped, and I could leave whites on the ground, but it was a harsh start when I just wanted to get in and kill stuff.

Other things like the map are just incomplete. One of the Dev's was on and chatting all day, which was nice. He mentioned at one point that the map was done months ago as rushed code just to have something and it had yet to be replaced. It showed. Half the time you walked on the white sections and black areas were the boundaries, and the other half it was the black areas you were on and the white or blue areas were the boundaries. Its just enough to get by with, but was very obviously a very early beta component.

The method of mapping skills and actions to keys and buttons is really nice by default, and is totally customisable as well. I also really liked their potion concept. Its a good system.

Old 14th May 2012, 08:24 PM   #200 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1111

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
After playing it for one afternoon I would like to play it more.
You can get a beta key by buying some MT store credit BTW:

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase
Warrender is offline   Reply With Quote