Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others

RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others Public discussion forum for Strategy and Other games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th September 2011, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword on SALE!

Save 50% on Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword on Steam

On Steam, now only about 8 bucks. I've been a fanatic player for a few months, and the community has very recently banded together in a dedicated Forum.

Index of /

The forums are Aussie based, and has became populated by the more active players of the few servers Australia has to offer.

If you try this, you won't regret!
If you want to find me ingame or in the forums, it's Aslak
Panatox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th September 2011, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 10

Cheerful

All three games in the series are 75%, for today only!

I've been enjoying Two Worlds 1 and 2, but the horse riding in them is just atrocious. I keep reading that Mount & Blade is the end all be all for simulated riding, as well as combat from the saddle. I really regret missing the earlier sale, so I jumped on this one today.
Compass Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Competent - Post: 415

Buzzed

Picked up all three of them I remember playing the original back when it was free and possibly in beta, and remember having a blast, so I'm keen to finally get around to trying the complete games
Old 19th September 2011, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 1905 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

I clicked out 325 hours on Warband recently! I probably had at least that in the original also. Not everyone connects with it, but I love it. The mods are fantastic. Most of my time on Warband has been on Prophesy of Pendor, its a complete re-work of the games with new factions and units.
Tulgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wohoo!

Oh oh, and do you guys use your forum names ingame? If not, what are they?!
Old 1st October 2011, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2162

Angelic

Man M&B is addicting. Bewarned!
SpartanGrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 05:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I heard the With Fire and Sword was a disappointment. Any feedback on the pro's and con's?

And I guess the sale is over, right.
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2162

Angelic

The impression I got from 15mins in Fire and Sword before going back to warband is that guns, like in real life, cheapen the battle. When you can die in one hit it comes down to luck whether you survive the initial charge. As opposed to primarily "skill" and choosing your approach etc.

Ed: That said, it was somewhat satisfying riding my horse in circles picking off the peasants. Though firing a single shot from my pistol and then reloading for 20 seconds before firing off another got a little dull towards the end.
SpartanGrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pros and Cons, eh? Tough question, there's so much there that needs to be weighed in.

Cons is the learning curve. It takes a lot of time to get into the better player ranks when playing Multiplayer. And even when you think you have got some skill, there's always someone who is going to spank you silly with some crazy kick-feint-overhead-cut while jumping.
Also, if you get mostly into the multiplayer, there are limited types of battle.

Pros are plenty. Once you get the hang of fighting, you will love it. The 1 on 1 fights, fighting 5 at a time, riding a horse and lancing unsuspecting musketeers in the head, cutting the horse archers down with a single poleaxe swing... countless grand moments for sure!
The community at the Aussie servers are pretty close, with few clans, all with different communities as well.

There's a lot more, but this one should give a taste of what is to expect.